OUCH! Have you ever been injured while reefing?

Have you ever been injured reefing?

• Total voters

Nobbygas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does having my Big Bertha Driver surgically removed from my **** after She Who Casts No Shadow found out how much my Red Sea S-650 cost count? Is that classed as a 'Reefing Injury'?

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Growing up in the Caribbean, I have been stuck by more spiny urchins than I can remember, regularly rub up against fire coral and been stuck by and bitten by numerous fish, bristle worms, hydroids and many other things I can't remember! I think by now I'm more immune than Paul B's tank! I get scratched and cut regularly during tank maintenance but never have any side effects!

RichardinTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1958F5B8-533A-47B0-84A7-B1B0DB464F17.jpeg
Palytoxin poisoning. Twice. Lol

Lissa1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, So I realize I have posted on this thread before, but an update...Mind you I am incredibly clumsy but the first (1 and 2) pictures are from me trying to cut a piece of acrylic- this is a scar, happened months ago (if its not snapping, for the record -don't apply more pressure, rescore it.) The second pictures (3/4/5) are from falling off a stool, while trying to lug a 5 gallon bucket full of macro algae into my native tank (almost a week ago) Not sure if you can tell from the pictures but the entire foot is bruised and I think i may have sprained/broken both my bit and little toe. There is also a large bruise on my hip/bum that no ones wants to see lol. The third (6and 7) is from trying to disassemble a leaking tank last night... This isn't including the allergic reaction I had to bloodworms...

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_3263.jpg

IMG_1619.jpg

IMG_4374.jpg

IMG_1389.jpg

IMG_6940.jpg

IMG_7019.jpg

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing some simple tank cleaning then my female maroon clown came chasing at my hand. what happened next was terrifiying. It wanted pets. Scariest moments in my 3 years of reefing.

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While trying to cut an encrusted coral frag off a frag plug, I snipped off the tip of my left index finger. Was a new set of clippers that were longer than I was used to.
What hurt worse that cutting it off was the ER doctor sticking the needle down the tip of my finger to numb it so he could sew it back on.

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had palytoxin poisoning, I was taking palythoas off a rock carefully, and later that day i had a massive migraine, i couldnt sleep at night, i had major body chills even though my body was in a fever and i was hot as heck. My chest also started to hurt. Thankfully it went away after 24 hours, now i never mess with those corals.

Ive also had a weird rash on the underside of my arm by the wrist. Was there for like 2 months and it was raised like poison ivy.. The day it happened my arms were in the tank for like 4-5 hours as i was messing with the rocks and corals ect..

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had palytoxin poisoning, I was taking palythoas off a rock carefully, and later that day i had a massive migraine, i couldnt sleep at night, i had major body chills even though my body was in a fever and i was hot as heck. My chest also started to hurt. Thankfully it went away after 24 hours, now i never mess with those corals.

Ive also had a weird rash on the underside of my arm by the wrist. Was there for like 2 months and it was raised like poison ivy.. The day it happened my arms were in the tank for like 4-5 hours as i was messing with the rocks and corals ect..
Salt and other stuff in the water can do that to your arm.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always wondered what being stabbed by a lionfish is like.

Here in central Texas there's a big red wasp that has a pretty potent sting. I've been stung by them and the lionfish was similar in swelling and throbbing pain. By comparison honey bees, yellow jackets and yellow/black paper wasps are definitely milder with noticibly less swelling and far mare localized pain.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 195 71.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back