Our 12ft self contained reef

samparker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still love that yellow/gold psammacora piece, stunning (and the rest too....) :p

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful as usual!

OP
OP
Synodontis

Synodontis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still love that yellow/gold psammacora piece, stunning (and the rest too....) :p
Thanks Sam, it definitely stands out on top of the rocks.

Beautiful as usual!
Thanks Rev :)

Wow I’m in dreamland great build
Thanks Bob, it's time to wake up now lol.

My god..that's a huge tank but gorgeous. my new hero! On day man...I'll get to upgrade like that! :)

Hey mdrobc, thanks for that. All it takes is time to finally upgrade enough to a point where you can't go bigger lol.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Beautiful BEAUTIFUL layout especially with components under the tank !!!

AidanMary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some nice photography skills there Ken, tanks looking amazing as always :D

OP
OP
Synodontis

Synodontis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful BEAUTIFUL layout especially with components under the tank !!!
Thanks vetteguy, there was a lot of discussion & planning leading up to the start if the build about what would go where. Just very lucky that our LFS has one very smart owner to bounce idea's around with :)

Some nice photography skills there Ken, tanks looking amazing as always :D
I really don't know about skills mate hahaha, point & shoot with fingers crossed is how I roll :)

So what's new?
I went looking for a simple on off timer but wanted something a bit better then the usual stuff you find in the $2 shop. Stumbled across these Sonoff things that looked like they would suit the bill. The more I looked at them the better the ideas got lol. Decided to go with the Sonoff Pow as it records power used which on a tank this size is pretty handy. The scary bit is I now know the lights use just over 7kw per day :( I ended up putting one on each of the power board's as well as the lights. If I took the time & added them all together I would know what the whole system uses per day / month. Have I done that? Of course not! Would you really want to know exactly how much power your system uses lol.

We had a visitor last weekend, some young kid from New York lol. @Tyreef2016 was in Melbourne so we meet up with him at a train station & he came back to our place. Seems the poor lad had a bad case of reef withdrawal while being away from home. Sad to say the Melbourne aquarium did nothing to help with the affliction. After a few hours in front of tank & some reef talk he was feeling much better, time to get him back home lol. Have to say thou, it was really nice to meet another reefer from the other side of the world who enjoyed having a beer & chat, we expect a call next time your back down this way mate :)

Anyway, that was the last few weeks.
We've got one of those spots that just looks wrong in the tank. Jen's end of that tank has never looked right for some reason, wasn't sure what is was but finally worked it out. The rock that was at the front of the tank was to tall, it blocked everything behind it & blocked the view down the tank from Jen's end.
Woke up today & decided it was time to rectify the situation. Like most things in this tank, it wasn't going to be a 5 min job. Trundled out to the garage & found a saw & a few other tools. Jen had to hold the light out of the way while I had to work a 25Kg (55Lb?) rock with SPS attached out of the tank, wasn't a pretty sight lol.
Started off with this view
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Top down
5.jpg

Once it was out I needed to cut the top off, that was a mission. It's a decent hunk of rock once it's out & on the work bench.
7.jpg

The hole that was left in the tank
10.jpg

11.jpg

Here I was thinking the saw would get through it pretty quick. After the first 15 mins I figured it was time for a coffee lol.
13.jpg

And then the top fell off
14.jpg

About half way through, I worked out why it was taking so long. I think I need a new saw :(
15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

Dropped the top bit in the sump while I worked out where to put the bottom bit lol.
18.jpg

Bottom bit back in the tank
19.jpg

21.jpg

We have a huge 5kg tabling acro that now has it's own pedestal lol
22.jpg

23.jpg

The top bit found a home where the tabling acro used to live
24.jpg

25.jpg

And that's about where I'm up to tonight. Will have another play around tomorrow :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Very much enjoyed this post

Tyreef2016

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job ken! I was wondering how it all worked out. looks great and really opened up the right side of the tank. I'm Sure moo is happy with some more space.

Thanks again for giving me the chance to drop by and show me how you guys do it down under!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back