OP
OP
seth&angelle

seth&angelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I crashed it. My wife and I went out of town for a week, and we came home to a dead tank. The fish survived. I did a quick water change before we left for the airport, and left the drain open in the sump (I have the tank plumbed to do water changes just by turning valves). Water slowly drained, and the tank toped off with freshwater for 5 days. Salinity went from 1.025 to 1.010. One of the worst days of my life!!! This was in August. I recently cleaned out the fish room and got the tank running again. It will be a fish only until we can afford LEDs. Can't afford the electric bill with MH and a 1hp chiller.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I crashed it. My wife and I went out of town for a week, and we came home to a dead tank. The fish survived. I did a quick water change before we left for the airport, and left the drain open in the sump (I have the tank plumbed to do water changes just by turning valves). Water slowly drained, and the tank toped off with freshwater for 5 days. Salinity went from 1.025 to 1.010. One of the worst days of my life!!! This was in August. I recently cleaned out the fish room and got the tank running again. It will be a fish only until we can afford LEDs. Can't afford the electric bill with MH and a 1hp chiller.

Oh no....

I did the same thing about three years back, which triggered my year and a half break from the hobby. Left the RO unit on, and filled the sump up with pure RO. Worst part was, I didn't have any salt on hand to fix it. I ended up posting on my local forum to just come get it for free, as I would rather seen the coral/fish live in another tank than just die in mine. I literally gave away $4 grand worth of livestock.

aalvarado87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am absolutely digging your tank. not even whats inside of it just the placement that is awesome how you have like the little bar kind of like a restuarant type scene thats awesome.

Now for the inhabitants arggg i hate you you have a black tang. By far my most favorite tang they are truly aweseom Your corals look to be doing good. I am really digging this tank awesome set up keep it going.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yea living in LA the bill must be pretty high youll save a ton on leds, and im truely sorry for your lose.

raymond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is very nice looking im really jealous, the variaty of colors is outstanding, looks like my daughter had her neon paints and was painting in your tank

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man sorry to hear about the loss you all had. This hobby truly is ups and downs.

MimicOcto8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG i'm so sorry to hear that. My jaw dropped twice in this thread. once when I saw all the pictures and then when I read it crashed :( :( very sad. but easily my favorite tank i've ever seen. love the picture frame in the wall!

OP
OP
seth&angelle

seth&angelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. Hopefully it will be a beautiful reef again one day, but for now I'll just enjoy some fish I can't normally have with the reef. Fish in the tank now are: Yellow Belly Hippo, Magnificent Foxface, Regal Angel, Pearlscale Butterfly, Queen Angel, two Pink/Blue Spot Gobies, and a Diamond Goby. Fish to add: Clown Trigger, Golden Butterfly (Red Sea), Scribbled Angel, Goldflake Angel, and I think that is it.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang!!! I'm so so sorry to hear this. :(

I'm glad you kept the tank going even if it's a fish only. good luck with the rebuild.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. Hopefully it will be a beautiful reef again one day, but for now I'll just enjoy some fish I can't normally have with the reef. Fish in the tank now are: Yellow Belly Hippo, Magnificent Foxface, Regal Angel, Pearlscale Butterfly, Queen Angel, two Pink/Blue Spot Gobies, and a Diamond Goby. Fish to add: Clown Trigger, Golden Butterfly (Red Sea), Scribbled Angel, Goldflake Angel, and I think that is it.

Yeah, I'd say fill that sucker up with fish you normally can't enjoy in the reef. haha. Thats exactly what I would do.

Lem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any updates on this Tank? I was reading through it and almost cried when it crashed. Would love to know what happened and how its doing...

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back