OP
Palancar

Palancar

Aussie Acan Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some new top down pictures of the Acan tank I took this afternoon with Kathy’s Coolpix camera just messing around. Enjoy.

DSCN0071a.jpg

DSCN0074a.jpg

DSCN0076a.jpg

DSCN0081a.jpg

DSCN0085a.jpg

DSCN0086a.jpg

DSCN0087a.jpg

DSCN0088a.jpg

cay85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice collection! can you tell us how you maintain health and color with your acans. mine are not happy, color is washed out.

OP
OP
Palancar

Palancar

Aussie Acan Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice collection! can you tell us how you maintain health and color with your acans. mine are not happy, color is washed out.
The tank they are in is 16" deep with a 175 watt 20K MH at 10" above the tank in our greenhouse so they do get diffused sunlight. I am getting a reading of 180 on the par meter in the very center of the tank.

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the acans. Just sold off all my chalices so I could get back in to acans. I remember a year ago I sold all my acans to get into chalices....Funny

The frag tank is awesome. Love the rack.

OP
OP
Palancar

Palancar

Aussie Acan Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, while never having sold off one collection for another I can understand what you are saying. Since I have been bitten by the acan bug, I have been unable to shake the habit and my wife is right there with me. As for the frag rack it is now a total wrap around and now I see some improvements that I can make. I use a magnetic rack in the front of the tank to complete the wrap. I will try to get a FTS to day before the big game.

Bugg_zy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice collection and
thanks for sharing. I love seeing the larger colonies.

barbianj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the first acan dominated tank that I've seen. Very, very nice. What do you run your Ca and alk at? Do you mount your acans to anything for continued growth, or do they expand on their own?

JNye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have to commend you on the layout, i think alot of people wouldn't like the un-natural frag tank look, me personally i love it, nothing all that natural about our tanks anyways, and the way its set-up its all about viewing the colonies all together, love it.

Pellaeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the first acan dominated tank that I've seen. Very, very nice. What do you run your Ca and alk at? Do you mount your acans to anything for continued growth, or do they expand on their own?

Very interested in this answer. I have been trying to figure this out as well. I have thought about mounting my nicer ACANs to a rock so that they can expand quicker.

ONEmorBEER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of Acan is in your avatar? Do you have a picture of it in your tank? I am just starting to get into acans and I'm always worried that if my lights aren't the same as the suppliers, I may get a totally different color pattern from them.

Alpha Aquaculture

Designer Clownfish Hatchery
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ONEmorBEER: Its a lordhowensis. Our host has already posted an enlarged picture of it in the lower portion of the first page. It sure is a beaut!

Palancar: You truly have a nice collection. Thank you for sharing it with us all. If you are really into acans you should pm me for trades. I have some crazy ones that I bet you have never seen. I currently have 40+. I keep mine at 130 par with indirect sunlight. Do you feed yours regularly? Can you tell us about how exactly you feed them? Can you show us a pic of a particular frag and then another pic of the same frag after some time to show growth? (if you can, please tell us the time period between pictures)

Thanks so much and keep the pics coming!

Kris

Jeremy R.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome collection of Lords. I really like your frag tank design with the wrap around egg crate shelf.

lazyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

You've got some gorgeous 'cans there, and I really like the frag tank "display". You mentioned a magnetic frag rack for the front, what's holding up the racks along the back and sides - I see shelf "brackets" but what is holding them up....superglue to the glass ??

I too would like to hear about your parameters, flow, feeding schedule, and growth rates. I'm also curious if you have suffered any tissue loss on the Acans for apparently unknown reasons, and if so what do you attribute this mysterious RTN too ??

Thanks for your time and again those are some real beauts!

OP
OP
Palancar

Palancar

Aussie Acan Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for not answering questions quicker, my wife and I have been under the weather the past week. I will start with the first questions and work my through them. Thanks for all the comments.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back