Our friend Jake Adams

ConectadoNZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a heavy heart I'm delivering the news that our beloved Reef Builder icon Jake Adams received his wings.... it hadn't hit the web yet but it will. As more details come in I'll report back. My condolences to all of his family, friends and anyone that knew him.

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very tragic news. Loved his passion for the hobby and his willingness to share it. This has been a tough week for me personally: first a student a Princeton and now Jake.

Thoughts and prayers to his family.
He was a total stranger to me but still a household name. I’m having trouble processing this and it feel off being that I didn’t know him personally.

VermontReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truly Devastating. A Marine Biology icon. Brilliant Creator. Mother Oceans Biggest Fan & Great Human.

This one hurts. His dedication & inspirational work will forever impact this hobby + marine biology for future generations.

Jake, thanks for all you did here for us & for our beloved creatures of the sea. Go rest high on that reef good sir.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to Rob Mougey (VP of Macna if I'm correct) he passed away on an Overnight Flight to Bali just last night.

I can't imagine the heartbreak his family and close friends are going through. He was only 42 which is still pretty young. Rest in Peace Jake, you were one of my big Inspirations
Yes one of the reasons we must live life. Age is only part of it, what you do and who you leave an impression is beyond age. Condolences to his family and close friends.

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My deepest condolences to family and friends. Jake will still be influencing, inspiring and teaching myself, new and old reef hobbyists on YouTube forever, doing what he loved to do. He will always be with us, immortalized through his hard work, dedication and passion for the hobby. He'll never be forgotten.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This really hurts my heart. My mind is spinning in like 50 different directions. It’s so hard to believe. I feel like a big chunk of my heart is gone, and I’ve never met Jake personally or even talked with him on the phone, but it was almost like I knew him through his content. When I do cardio I always pulled up his Reef Therapy Podcast, and it really helped me get through my workouts. Such a sad day for so many of us.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From his website:

“Jake Adams has been an avid marine aquarist since the mid 90s and has worked in the retail side of the marine aquarium trade for more than ten years. He has a bachelor’s degree in Marine Science and has been the managing editor of ReefBuilders.com since 2008. Jake is interested in every facet of the marine aquarium hobby from the concepts to the technology, rare fish to exotic corals, and his interests are well documented through a very prolific career of speaking to reef clubs and marine aquarium events, and writing articles for aquarium publications across the globe. His primary interest is in corals which Jake pursues in the aquarium hobby as well as diving the coral reefs of the world.”

Gadamwoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a heavy heart I'm delivering the news that our beloved Reef Builder icon Jake Adams received his wings.... it hadn't hit the web yet but it will. As more details come in I'll report back. My condolences to all of his family, friends and anyone that knew him.
I'm just now hearing about this what happened?

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such an immense loss for his family, the reef community, and the ocean. Truly devastated by this surprising news. Keeping his family in my thoughts :crying-face:

Danny's Aquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At a loss for words. Rest in peace, Jake.

dmbohn468

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like many, he really was the one who got me into all of this. How horrible. Such a loss for all of us.

dmbohn468

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might be in the minority here, but the first video of Jake's that I came across was of him interviewing someone, and I thought he was a bit of a blowhard. LOL. But the more I checked out Reef Builders, his videos, his mission, the more I realized that his "tude" was just his passion shining through.

Now, I honestly can't go a week without listening to he and Mark's Reef Therapy pod. Such a trailblazer and an asset to the community. I didn't know him and never got a chance to meet him, but he feels like a dear friend. He will truly be missed.

RIP Jake.
Well said.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only met and talked to Jake (and Mark) once, at the "MAGNA Lite" in Atlanta earlier in the year, where he and Mark were speaking.

I chatted them up in the hall and he and Mark were warm and magnanimous...

In true fanboy fashion I asked if he had seen any corals that were special on the floor that grabbed his attention, and he kindly walked me over and pointed to several specimens in a rack that he thought were healthy and good buys. And in true fan boy fashion I picked several of them up...

I will do my very best to keep them strong and healthy and when the time comes, pass frags out to my local community...

RIP

5FA8528C-50E6-4E98-A6FF-70C6E3E13CFC.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 8.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back