Our Perception of Light (for an article)

Which square, A or B, do you think is receiving more light or more light intensity?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Seawitch

Water, water everywhere,
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like you folks to look at this image below, and then participate in the attached poll:

Which square, A or B, do you think is receiving more light or more light intensity?

r2rchecker.jpg

This is a famous picture created by Edward H. Adelson at MIT and can be reproduced freely.

@Greg Gdowski

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm the only one that voted they are receiving the same amount, one is just shadowed by cylinder.
Which in my mind makes me think that area is receiving less light.
I look at it from the perspective of my coral. Some do much better in shadow areas of my tank, receiving less light.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like you folks to look at this image below, and then participate in the attached poll:

r2rchecker.jpg

This is a famous picture created by Edward H. Adelson at MIT and can be reproduced freely.

@Greg Gdowski

Hello,

Well yes this is a trick question but you also have a direct answer if we are just looking at the picture provided. If that is the only variable then A receives more light because you can see that b is in the shadow path. Not only is b in the shadow path other squares with area are as well. In terms of say a front yard the squares are grass and the cylinder is a tree. Usually when the sun hits that tree just right it will cast a shadow on it. Which also comes into to play, what aspect is this diagram in. Because even if it’s a yard with a tree, the shadow won’t always be there and a and b may receive the same amount at times and b could receive more at times I’d the light is placed in certain spots.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the shadow is a true inverse of the light source; it’s not a trick question at all. And this poll is only applicable to lighting reefs using true light source origins. So yea, lol.
They are the same color obviously, but that wasn’t the question.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Well yes this is a trick question but you also have a direct answer if we are just looking at the picture provided. If that is the only variable then A receives more light because you can see that b is in the shadow path. Not only is b in the shadow path other squares with area are as well. In terms of say a front yard the squares are grass and the cylinder is a tree. Usually when the sun hits that tree just right it will cast a shadow on it. Which also comes into to play, what aspect is this diagram in. Because even if it’s a yard with a tree, the shadow won’t always be there and a and b may receive the same amount at times and b could receive more at times I’d the light is placed in certain spots.
The light doesent move sarahhhh why are you bringing astrophysics into the mix ! Lol :p jk

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light doesent move sarahhhh why are you bringing astrophysics into the mix ! Lol :p jk

Hello,

Because it’s a diffraction of light and it does it regardless lol. We all know that the amount of bending is based upon the wavelength, and the opening it’s going into. It will bend around a stop sign or small tree, but how about a sky scraper lol. If the opening is much larger than the light's wavelength, the bending will be almost unnoticeable. However, if the two are closer in size or equal, the amount of bending is considerable, and easily seen with the naked eye.

But your right this diffraction does actually start in the atmosphere with atmospheric particles. Then further develops because of tiny water droplets in clouds. From there you get all kinds of neat things.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Because it’s a diffraction of light and it does it regardless lol. We all know that the amount of bending is based upon the wavelength, and the opening it’s going into. It will bend around a stop sign or small tree, but how about a sky scraper lol. If the opening is much larger than the light's wavelength, the bending will be almost unnoticeable. However, if the two are closer in size or equal, the amount of bending is considerable, and easily seen with the naked eye.

But your right this diffraction does actually start in the atmosphere with atmospheric particles. Then further develops because of tiny water droplets in clouds. From there you get all kinds of neat things.
Fifty points griffindor!

Well said Sarah!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back