Output close to skimmer intake?

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

As I currently have my skimmer in a chamber that is teed off the return, I wonder if I should fix the output/dirty water as close to the skimmer intake as possible. I'm unsure it it will make any difference to the amount af crap it will remove.
Think it's worth trying?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s almost 2 a.m., so sorry if I am missing your main question... but I believe most people would have the dirty overflow water go through mechanical filtration (e.g., a filter sock, sponge block, filter floss, etc, first— to catch the ‘big’ stuff), then have the water get skimmed, then go out from the skimmer (presumably ‘clean’ now), and let out near the return pump to go back to the display tank.

I hope that’s what you were asking. :)

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s almost 2 a.m., so sorry if I am missing your main question... but I believe most people would have the dirty overflow water go through mechanical filtration (e.g., a filter sock, sponge block, filter floss, etc, first— to catch the ‘big’ stuff), then have the water get skimmed, then go out from the skimmer (presumably ‘clean’ now), and let out near the return pump to go back to the display tank.

I hope that’s what you were asking. :)
Not quite, but might be because my setup is a little different from a standard setup.

Overflow goes directly to roller filter. From here it goes partially back to tank and partially through the rest of the sump (skimmer, carbon and chaeto).

20210910_085730.jpg

Return pump is located in overflow chamber.

20210910_085754.jpg

The circle is the output from the returnpump.
I was simply wondering, if setting this output close to the skimmer intake would make a difference?

Attachments

• 20210910_085754.jpg
    20210910_085754.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 15

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not quite, but might be because my setup is a little different from a standard setup.

Overflow goes directly to roller filter. From here it goes partially back to tank and partially through the rest of the sump (skimmer, carbon and chaeto).

20210910_085730.jpg

Return pump is located in overflow chamber.

20210910_085754.jpg

The circle is the output from the returnpump.
I was simply wondering, if setting this output close to the skimmer intake would make a difference?
If I understand the question I don't believe it would matter where the feed from the return pump is going into the skimmer chamber at. It is still all water coming from the return.
That is a weird design on a sump, is there some reason it had to be configured that way?

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand the question I don't believe it would matter where the feed from the return pump is going into the skimmer chamber at. It is still all water coming from the return.
That is a weird design on a sump, is there some reason it had to be configured that way?
My first reef tank, and sump design was based on equipment that has changed alot.
Since I cabnot redesign the sump without taking the tank apart I had to be creative with the space.
It seems to work fine, so I'll just let it be as is.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back