Over dosed calcium

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley I use a calcrx so I don't check my calcium often and only check alk. I declined to check and it said my calc was 370, so I dosed calcium. It turns out my test kit is bad and my calc is really 520.

My alk is 8.6 and mag is 1275. Should I worry about my calc being that high? I can't really turn off my reactor as alk will drop and I don't have anything to supplement alk yet. If you say I should worry I will order some to just dose alk while it comes down.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most all alk products are sodium carbonate. So you can simply DIY some buy using baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), or bake a couple cups on a cookie sheet at 350F for an hour, and you'll now have soda ash (sodium carbonate). Use a dosing calculator (such as this one from BRS), and choose the "dry" powder you have, and desired alk level.....done!

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most all alk products are sodium carbonate. So you can simply DIY some buy using baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), or bake a couple cups on a cookie sheet at 350F for an hour, and you'll now have soda ash (sodium carbonate). Use a dosing calculator (such as this one from BRS), and choose the "dry" powder you have, and desired alk level.....done!

Thanks for the tip! I was hoping that calcium level was fine as I have no idea what my tanks all consumption is and was hoping to not throw everything even more out of wack trying to figure it out what it is over the next few days dosing alk.

I think I am going to let it be and see what happens.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back