Overcomplicating simple things...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tlledsmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with most things in this hobby the word "acclimate" seems to get overcomplicated.

Maybe I'm alone on this but I see "acclimatization" all the time and it's very frustrating because "acclimation" is the real word and I have no idea why we keep making up variations of the word. I swear I keep hearing and seeing "acclimatizated" where "acclimated" is supposed to be. And what's worse!! "Aclimatize" used as a verb!? What? You don't acclimatize a fish. You acclimate a fish.

OK sorry for the soap box pet peave rant.

Tune in next week for my gripes on the subject of "my DT/sump overflows, so I must add valves and switches and nonsense"

What grinds your gears?

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I divorced a woman over this. Woman, the sentence is incomplete and I will not perform the task that you are trying to get me to do until you ask in proper English! (It's not like she was a foreign language speaker or anything, English was the first and only language)

An Alphabet vowel please:
L-l-th

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm reading some of the posts on this thread and thinking how Shakespeare invented or popularized quite a number of words and phrases that are still in use today. Now I'm wondering if the Elizabethans and Jacobeans of the time got together in the pubs and complained about all these newfangled language changes and demanded people speak proper English. :winking-face-with-tongue::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

White Horse Tavern

Perhaps before water'd down:
William Tyndale 1400s
White Horse Tavern 1520s (Protestant Reformers met)
Geneva 1550s (harsh language by today's standard)
KJV 1600s (Shakespeare was mention'd)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tlledsmar

Tlledsmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An allusion to an ancient myth.
Lilith refused to perform acts and cried aloud the name.
Events thereafter had fallen.
That's no allusion, I'm very familiar with the Bible.

I'm out.

Upvote 0

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is fun...

Not really language related, more unit of measure.

"I dose 50ml of Ca and Alk every day."

What does that even mean? It is as though all Ca and Alk solutions were created equal.

Try using a tangible unit of measure that would actually be helpful.

"I dose 10mg/l of Ca and Alk every day"

It doesn't matter what product you are using or what volume of water you are dosing into.

"Hey Joe, I followed your instructions and added 100ml of Magnesium to my system; it only raised my Mg by 25ppm." Insert face palm emoji.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tlledsmar

Tlledsmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is fun...

Not really language related, more unit of measure.

"I dose 50ml of Ca and Alk every day."

What does that even mean? It is as though all Ca and Alk solutions were created equal.

Try using a tangible unit of measure that would actually be helpful.

"I dose 10mg/l of Ca and Alk every day"

It doesn't matter what product you are using or what volume of water you are dosing into.

"Hey Joe, I followed your instructions and added 100ml of Magnesium to my system; it only raised my Mg by 25ppm." Insert face palm emoji.
For sure! Dosing habits are so highly specific to each person's setup and theory of operation...

My advice is always test, research, and dose accordingly. And I'm gonna be flamed here but seachem 2 part has never done me dirty.

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with most things in this hobby the word "acclimate" seems to get overcomplicated.

Maybe I'm alone on this but I see "acclimatization" all the time and it's very frustrating because "acclimation" is the real word and I have no idea why we keep making up variations of the word. I swear I keep hearing and seeing "acclimatizated" where "acclimated" is supposed to be. And what's worse!! "Aclimatize" used as a verb!? What? You don't acclimatize a fish. You acclimate a fish.

OK sorry for the soap box pet peave rant.

Tune in next week for my gripes on the subject of "my DT/sump overflows, so I must add valves and switches and nonsense"

What grinds your gears?
"What is the difference between acclimation and acclimatization?

Acclimation is the coordinated phenotypic response developed by the animal to a specific stressor in the environment while acclimatization refers to the coordinated response to several individual stressors simultaneously (e.g., temperature, humidity, and photoperiod)."

So, for our purposes, acclimatization is more accurate.

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, from the Oxford dictionary:

acclimatization
noun
the process or result of becoming accustomed to a new climate or to new conditions.
"the most important feature of acclimatization to high altitude is an increase in the rate and depth of breathing"

And from https://grammarist.com:

In American English, acclimatize is recommended by many dictionaries and usage guides, yet acclimate, which is actually the older word, is far more common. Canadian writers tend to use acclimatize. The words' corresponding nouns are acclimation, acclimatisation, and acclimatization.

Upvote 0

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

acclimatization
noun
the process or result of becoming accustomed to a new climate or to new conditions.
"the most important feature of acclimatization to high altitude is an increase in the rate and depth of breathing"

In American English, acclimatize is recommended by many dictionaries and usage guides, yet acclimate, which is actually the older word, is far more common. Canadian writers tend to use acclimatize. The words' corresponding nouns are acclimation, acclimatisation, and acclimatization.

Interesting,
"In the rate"
From oceanic depths rate of ascension can result in bends or high altitude sickness by climbing mountains.
Surely divers here no proper rates of ascension (bubble up).
Respiration systems and artificial/chemical/mechanical respirators aid but blood thins or thickens depending on time exposed to environmental conditions (depth or altitude).
Learned a new word today, "phenotypic."
Thanks for sharing Erin1971Texas.
Enjoy

Upvote 0

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not read all of the posts. I get annoyed when people do not understand that the word data is plural.

It is not correct to say, "the data", it is correct to say, "these data".

Sorry, I am a total data nerd.

These and those can indicate relational position.
Please edify if incorrect but couldn't these data figures and those data figures indicate which was favorable or far off whether by accuracy or origination?
Enjoy Jabberwock

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not read all of the posts. I get annoyed when people do not understand that the word data is plural.

It is not correct to say, "the data", it is correct to say, "these data".

Sorry, I am a total data nerd.
What about "the sheep" when referring to an entire flock?
Or "the fish" when referring to an entire tank?

"The" is not singular like "A" is.

Upvote 0

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about "the sheep" when referring to an entire flock?
Or "the fish" when referring to an entire tank?

"The" is not singular like "A" is.

Absolute vs relative perspective or possession?
I am asking :)
"A vs the," a son of many vs the Son meaning only or first in subordination. Suppose both ontological and economical subordination could apply "the" from 2nd person to succession of persons?
I wouldn't expect a person referring to another person's fish as the fish unless a person was suggesting another person's (his) fish was ideal (not idea).
Then again perhaps context clarifies (narrow or broad).
Another point of interest place a before new and anew means similarly new but not ex nihilo.
A church vs the Church or church is another example. Anything other than a church or our church referred from within and I expect undesirable government and/or authority.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolute vs relative perspective or possession?
I am asking :)
"A vs the," a son of many vs the Son meaning only or first in subordination. Suppose both ontological and economical subordination could apply from 2nd person succeeding so on?
I wouldn't expect a person referring to another person's fish as the fish unless a person was suggesting another person's fish was ideal (not idea).
Then again perhaps context clarifies (narrow or broad).
Another point of interest place a before new and anew means similarly new but not ex nihilo.
A church vs the Church or church is another example. Anything other than a church referred from within and I expect undesirable government and/or authority.
I'm not really following you...
But yes, if your tank had ich, for example, and I wanted to ask you how things were going, I'd ask, "how are the fish?" Meaning all of them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tlledsmar

Tlledsmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

acclimatization
noun

That's an oversimplification, with a bias. Please keep that type of mental gymnastics to your Facebook page

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back