Overcomplicating simple things...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tlledsmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with most things in this hobby the word "acclimate" seems to get overcomplicated.

Maybe I'm alone on this but I see "acclimatization" all the time and it's very frustrating because "acclimation" is the real word and I have no idea why we keep making up variations of the word. I swear I keep hearing and seeing "acclimatizated" where "acclimated" is supposed to be. And what's worse!! "Aclimatize" used as a verb!? What? You don't acclimatize a fish. You acclimate a fish.

OK sorry for the soap box pet peave rant.

Tune in next week for my gripes on the subject of "my DT/sump overflows, so I must add valves and switches and nonsense"

What grinds your gears?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, I spent 8 hours leaning to blow glass a few weeks ago and I am a reefer :)

Lol

Calcium carbonate decomposes to calcium oxide, which melts at 4,662 deg F. Glass typically metals below 4,000 deg F.

Upvote 0

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose it depends on whether you are speaking/writing American or real English.

English language is fluid though not everybody speaks English (I don't understand Cajun.)
Even if a word does not exist and a variant is made up and used by enough then a word can be added to English dictionaries. Ad populum fallacy :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: A word might be incorrect today but proper tomorrow if enough speak/write an improper word.
Perhaps my pet peeve is an incorrect use of "the" definite article when "a or an" properly addresses any person/place/thing. However, the definite article sometimes suggests more about a speaker than about the person/place/thing which was addressed.
I am most intrigued by "dead languages" or languages kept from layman.
And I am upset by judges or overuse of punctuation! I need not anybody telling me when to take a breath for however long of duration or stop here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's not fight.

Prior to 1755 there was no 'correct' spelling on either side of the pond. At around the same time Samuel Johnson in the UK, and Noah Webster (I think) in the USA decided to standardise things. They just standardised things differently.

Of course, Samuel Johnson did it first, so ours is the correct way :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Reference Urban dictionary for proper comprehension of what this author meant :p

Ornery:
1) Mean-spirited, disagreeable, and contrary in disposition
2) Mischievous, prankish, teasing, disagreeable but in a good way

How had he meant it!?

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with most things in this hobby the word "acclimate" seems to get overcomplicated.

Maybe I'm alone on this but I see "acclimatization" all the time and it's very frustrating because "acclimation" is the real word and I have no idea why we keep making up variations of the word. I swear I keep hearing and seeing "acclimatizated" where "acclimated" is supposed to be. And what's worse!! "Aclimatize" used as a verb!? What? You don't acclimatize a fish. You acclimate a fish.

OK sorry for the soap box pet peave rant.

Tune in next week for my gripes on the subject of "my DT/sump overflows, so I must add valves and switches and nonsense"

What grinds your gears?
I will say, Acclimatisation is actually a real word and not just a variation.
However… I’m English myself and grew up learning it in what many call ‘proper English’ (I don’t think proper English exists unless you’re a royal).

But anyway, what annoys me in this hobby is;
Everyone says to others about having RSWC fish in a FOWLR tank, nobody says ‘You can test it in a reef, just approach with caution’ we always say ‘Ignore that fish, it will eat coral’.
Can you not just work around that one fish? Why skip it if you like it, if you’re willing to work around the fish and not the coral then go for that fish!

I’m passionate about this topic as my own large reef tank is a RSWC reef.
In this FTS you can see all of my RSWC fish, and you Dm can certainly see all but maybe 1 coral :)
BB9DA606-0D75-4593-A108-55FDC8FAF8B3.jpeg

Upvote 0

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orientated.
Hydraulic dampeners.
Thanks, you guys have multiplied my list of annoying words.
Could someone please point out the squeak I haven't noticed that my chair makes every time I move to make the day complete?
:)

I am Oriental not ornamental nor am I disoriented because I live outside the Orient.

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When people say “a” RODI
Also when people say “an” RODI

both are wrong
I remember seeing a conversation about this haha, I have to say though ‘An RODI’ just fits better when talking. But ‘The RODI’ fits better when typing.

Upvote 0

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in Merrie England it's 'acclimatisation', and acclimation isn't a real word.

But speaking of making words more complicated, I've often wondered why, when an American house is burgled (i.e. invaded by a burglar), it is said to have been 'burglarized'. Okay, okay - I'm off topic again.

Was this guy problematic when a child?

latest-3716015167.jpg

What he said :face-with-rolling-eyes:

Upvote 0

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Preventative instead of preventive.

Preventive is the correct term but you see preventative everywhere, even peer reviewed literature. Even spell check doesn't catch it.

Of course, being an entomologist in the Army I am categorized as a "preventive medicine specialty" so was taught real quick that preventative was incorrect. Otherwise, I'd never had known.

And while we're at it, what really grinds my gears is changes in spelling--like using a Z instead of an S. To this day I don't buy anything from Skimz just because of that Z! We all have our quirks!

I am amazed at times by an overuse of Acronyms.
Copy that! Army speaks a different language :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Fascinating specialty Clarkjw2002.

Upvote 0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's not fight.

Prior to 1755 there was no 'correct' spelling on either side of the pond. At around the same time Samuel Johnson in the UK, and Noah Webster (I think) in the USA decided to standardise things. They just standardised things differently.

Of course, Samuel Johnson did it first, so ours is the correct way :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Actually, you just got it wrong first and we’ve never bothered to correct your mistakes.

Let’s have a Tea Party to discuss reparations:)

Upvote 0

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, you just got it wrong first and we’ve never bothered to correct your mistakes.

Let’s have a Tea Party to discuss reparations:)

Depatriotization (expatriatism) was a word of interest at one point in my life.
Suppose there are always alternative options Law or law pertaining to separation. Must be scary for a moment between being without Nation and becoming an accountable/responsible citizen under an authority thereof.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in Merrie England it's 'acclimatisation', and acclimation isn't a real word.

But speaking of making words more complicated, I've often wondered why, when an American house is burgled (i.e. invaded by a burglar), it is said to have been 'burglarized'. Okay, okay - I'm off topic again.
An English friend was at my house recently and said it was "homely", to which I responded, "Now you can't have any pudding!" He assured me he meant cozy and not unattractive.

People abbreviating everything like trites and trates, and the worst one, nems, it really noys me.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back