Overdosed alkalinity, too much?

Landoh17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.

So I was dosing my tanks with BRS Sodium Bicarb for Alk. I was distracted when dosing and put the wrong amount in. I bounced the alk a full 1.0dKH. Everything looked okay for a while today, but shortly after feeding tonight, some of my Euphyllia looked irritated. (Understandable) My question is if I need to worry about long term effects like disease and what not with the stress. I do have a UV sterilizer. I've had the tank for a year.

Any thoughts on this or any experience?

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That much of a sudden change in alk probably came with a pretty hefty pH change, which is more than likely what ticked things off. I would skip dosing for a bit and let it level back out to your normal level then resume regular dosing.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That much of a sudden change in alk probably came with a pretty hefty pH change, which is more than likely what ticked things off. I would skip dosing for a bit and let it level back out to your normal level then resume regular dosing.

He used bicarbonate which won't really do anything to his pH immediately. It actually slightly lowers it at first (but I believe it raises it in the long run as I think Randy said once).

OP
OP
Landoh17

Landoh17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my plan! My DS torch looked the worst

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.

So I was dosing my tanks with BRS Sodium Bicarb for Alk. I was distracted when dosing and put the wrong amount in. I bounced the alk a full 1.0dKH. Everything looked okay for a while today, but shortly after feeding tonight, some of my Euphyllia looked irritated. (Understandable) My question is if I need to worry about long term effects like disease and what not with the stress. I do have a UV sterilizer. I've had the tank for a year.

Any thoughts on this or any experience?

Should be fine. :)

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back