Overfeeding issues with Mandarin

  • Thread starter Thread starter BDeVaney
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

BDeVaney

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 22, 2013
Messages
143
Reaction score
4
Location
Southern California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have been getting a little bit of red algae on my sand since I have had my Mandarin. I have finally found a frozen food that he seems to really enjoy. Hes getting plumper so all is good with him. The problem is that I have 3 other fish in the tank that also really enjoy this food. The Mandarin is by far the slowest eater in the tank so I try to compensate for what the other fish will eat by putting some extra food in. I expect that the Mandarin won't find all of the food and some will just sink to the bottom and waste away. I didn't think it would be enough to cause a red algae bloom but I was wrong. So my question is how can I ensure my Mandarin gets enough of the food that he needs without overfeeding the tank and encouraging red algae growth?
 
gets some nassarius snails and a few brittle stars problem solved lol you could also try weaning him onto eating from a baster so you can just directly feed him, my fish loved doing that!
 
The best way to keep a Mandarin is to have a naturally sustained population of pods. To do this you probably need a productive refugium attached to your system. This way your Mandarin is not dependant on frozen foods of pellets, or flakes to sustain him. He may still eat some of what you are feeding now but they naturally pick pods out of the rocks all day long. If you can get this going you can still feed, just a smaller amount and it wont waste away feeding algae and cyano.
 
+1 - It's impossible to feed a mandarin in a reef tank full of fish. You are best to consider cultivating a sustainable pod population (ie refugium) or you'll be battling the over feeding strategy indefinitely. I've never feed mine. Only had mine for about 9 months though. He gets by somehow (I do have a refugium though).
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new