Overflow Advice Xaqua inouts

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as I get ready to drill the new tank for my Greener Pastures build I have two options on hand. I have 2 Xaqua inouts and a Shadow overflow.

210967-inout-overflow-wave_effect-1.jpg

Now I know Shadow Overflows are proven as is the Bean Animal design, but I have really wanted to try these inouts in a smaller tank for a long time.

What I'm dealing with a a 32gallong DT with an 18G sump and the planned return pump is only 717gph (currently).

I'm looking for two things here, 1 experience from people who have them.

2 a little brainstorming from the community here on how I can make these reliable? I'm thinking to drill the tank and set one at each end. Now here's where my delima begins. Do I drill them both at the same height and try to balance the flow through both or should I drill once SLIGHTLY higher then the other and use one as a main drain and the second as an emergency similar to a Herbie Style?

Thoughts, ideas? Anything?

FWIW I have experience with Dorso, Herbie and Bean Animal, I'm just trying to figure out how I can make these as reliable as possible.

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS I got these things from you guys. Have you come across them on any tanks or used them in any builds and possibly have some insight?

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One option to look into is a float type switch at the top of your tank hooked up to your return pump. I think these would work great with a DC return pump because they start slow and that will help with the siphon. I had the poor mans version of this and my return pump would sometimes over run the drain and possibly causing over the top flood. Another option would be the SAS system these are skimmer overflow protection device.

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
717gph pump before head loss, so somewhere around 500gph after is less then the capacity of one of these, I'll be using two. So even if one completely clogs the second can completely handle the flow.

Kristonenicolas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One option to look into is a float type switch at the top of your tank hooked up to your return pump. I think these would work great with a DC return pump because they start slow and that will help with the siphon. I had the poor mans version of this and my return pump would sometimes over run the drain and possibly causing over the top flood. Another option would be the SAS system these are skimmer overflow protection device.
Any info on how to do this?

Back