Overflow box not removing surface film

JAWSIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have 65 gallon DT with a 20 high diy sump that is feed by a Blue Ocean OF 600 Overflow Box Continuous Siphon Aquarium Hang On 125G. I can’t seem to be able to skim off the surface film on the top of the water. My overflow box has about 1/2 inch difference between water surface outside and inside the box itself. I have one of my power heads pointed up at the surface on the other side of the tank. My skimmer is located in the sump Reef Octo Any ideas on how to get the overflow box to skimmer the surface?

F7B7D3BB-9F7E-4885-8530-3BACBFD0BBCC.jpeg 356A5DD7-D125-49AE-B5F4-EB4193969BA9.jpeg

D4jack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar problem with a homemade overflow. I drilled holes. It needed slots. I fixed that and it worked great. The mesh is turning your slots into holes.

OP
OP
JAWSIII

JAWSIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That mesh is not allowing it through. Take it out and see. Get a coarse filter sponge if that's the case.
Hey. Thanks for the feedback i actually tried to account for that and put the mesh to the back. It’s not actually against the slots but it is “in the way of the flow at the bottom “. You think that still may cause it not to “skim”

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need pretty significant flow to properly surface skim. If you are only using a siphon, I highly doubt that you will have enough flow.

OP
OP
JAWSIII

JAWSIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. Not sure why video isn’t playing

Attachments

• IMG_2382.MOV
    12.6 MB

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably just need more flow. What pump are you using? One inch plumbing? Any idea your GPH?

OP
OP
JAWSIII

JAWSIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably just need more flow. What pump are you using? One inch plumbing? Any idea your GPH?
It says 800 gph but not sure at what height that is rated. It was an inexpensive Vivsun pump on Amazon (built on a budget). 3/4 tubing 3.5 ft high from pump to return The overflow was rated for 800 gph and I didn’t wanna overpower that My main reason for doing a sump was to create a very low flow area for a xport bio plate. Anyway I guess I should look at a more substantial pump and use a valve to control Thanks.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It says 800 gph but not sure at what height that is rated. It was an inexpensive Vivsun pump on Amazon (built on a budget). 3/4 tubing 3.5 ft high from pump to return The overflow was rated for 800 gph and I didn’t wanna overpower that My main reason for doing a sump was to create a very low flow area for a xport bio plate. Anyway I guess I should look at a more substantial pump and use a valve to control Thanks.
The other approach if you are just trying to eliminate surface film would be to agitate the surface with more powerheads chopping the surface of the water. Of course, that is counter productive if you really want that surface film to go down into your sump/fuge

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my jebao wave maker bit the dust in my 65 cube tank ,thats what my surface looked like.Not enough surface flow

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is basically a 6" diameter PVC pipe with slots cut into it. As you can see, it's completely surrounded by water and I use a constant siphon with a kickstart pump to pull water into the sump.

I have a very low turnover compared to most people. I have a lot of water movement via powerheads.

I have to turn my powerheads off when I want to surface skim. Otherwise the flow just sucks stuff back into the water column before it gets to the overflow.

IMG_20210306_222949573.jpg

OP
OP
JAWSIII

JAWSIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try removing the mesh yet?
Yes I did. Didn’t change anything.

what I tried was to upgrade the return pipe to 3/4 pvc. It was 1/2 vinyl tubing before. The pvc change did help some the surface is not as oily but still not perfect. I’m gonna have to get a bigger pump or rig up a separate skimmer. Thanks again.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back