Overflow box surface area. Does it really matter?

DividedDummies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize for the multiple posts in regards to overflows and sumps but I am still trying to figure out what will be best for my needs. I've seen many people say that the more surface area the overflow box has the better it is. Maybe i just don't understand but I find this hard to believe. The volume of water that is going back to the sump is going to be the same regardless if the box is 36" or 10". The only thing that changes is the rate of flow going over the teeth. Is there a true benefit with going for a longer overflow box? I feel that as long as there is adequate water flow from power heads there will not be much difference.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's about the siphoning off of surface proteins. When you have a small overflow much of the surface proteins and contaminants just swirl around for hours before they go over the edge or break down. At the other extreme, if you have a coast to coast overflow, the film of contaminants is removed more uniformly and in a much shorter time. Personally I've never cared and just build a box that I can stand looking at.

OP
OP
D

DividedDummies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's about the siphoning off of surface proteins. When you have a small overflow much of the surface proteins and contaminants just swirl around for hours before they go over the edge or break down. At the other extreme, if you have a coast to coast overflow, the film of contaminants is removed more uniformly and in a much shorter time. Personally I've never cared and just build a box that I can stand looking at.
Yes I understand but with a coast to coast overflow the surface area is so much wider that the flow rate over it will be much slower. In reality I feel that if you have adequate surface agitation with power heads the surface area of the box really won't make a huge difference. I ended up just going with the Fuji because of cost. Plus I do like the removable aspect of it for cleaning

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 68 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 63 27.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 21.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back