Rimless Tank Water Height

iannarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I'm expecting my tank to be delivered this Friday, and shortly thereafter I will be drilling the overflow. I'm trying to get a consensus on what the water level should be when the return is running. I've seen everything from 0.5 inches to 2.0 inches (which seems a little excessive). I just don't want the tank to get overtopped when the powerheads are running or when I'm using the algae scraper. Modular Marine includes an approximate operational water height against the openings in the weir box based on the return pump flow, and I understand that will fluctuate. Having said that, where I drill the holds of the overflow will set the upper/lower bounds of that fluctuation.

Is 1 inch too little? If it makes a difference, I will have a lid eventually, but not on day 1.

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I'm expecting my tank to be delivered this Friday, and shortly thereafter I will be drilling the overflow. I'm trying to get a consensus on what the water level should be when the return is running. I've seen everything from 0.5 inches to 2.0 inches (which seems a little excessive). I just don't want the tank to get overtopped when the powerheads are running or when I'm using the algae scraper. Modular Marine includes an approximate operational water height against the openings in the weir box based on the return pump flow, and I understand that will fluctuate. Having said that, where I drill the holds of the overflow will set the upper/lower bounds of that fluctuation.

Is 1 inch too little? If it makes a difference, I will have a lid eventually, but not on day 1.
Not really sure this is a DIY question so it might not be able to be answered.

OP
OP
iannarelli

iannarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is just under 2 inches maybe 1 3/4"
Himmmm, maybe I'm underestimating how much space I need (tank is 24 inches deep). Almost 1/12 the height seems like a lot. When the tank gets here, I will have to mock it up with some painters tape.

1716401815087.png

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Himmmm, maybe I'm underestimating how much space I need (tank is 24 inches deep). Almost 1/12 the height seems like a lot. When the tank gets here, I will have to mock it up with some painters tape.

1716401815087.png

Measured when I got home it is at 1.5" at my current return rate.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have 3/4" from the top of the water to the top of the glass.
Waves and surges will sometimes take it to 1/4", but that only when I point the powerhead at too much of a upwards angle.

OP
OP
iannarelli

iannarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3/4" from the top of the water to the top of the glass.
Waves and surges will sometimes take it to 1/4", but that only when I point the powerhead at too much of a upwards angle.
Thanks! And no issues cleaning with a scraper? I imagine it partly comes down to technique. Haha.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is about an inch and it constantly get surges from the powerheads.......any attempt at using a scraper definitely makes a mess. I do have a lid but it does not help at all when it comes to water making its' way over the side.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks! And no issues cleaning with a scraper? I imagine it partly comes down to technique. Haha.
If I'm not careful, I do splash a little water out and have to wipe the outside glass again.
I use a flipper for most of the cleaning on this tank, but do use a hand held scrapper for the top.

OP
OP
iannarelli

iannarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is about an inch and it constantly get surges from the powerheads.......any attempt at using a scraper definitely makes a mess. I do have a lid but it does not help at all when it comes to water making its' way over the side.
Thanks... seems like maybe an inch should be the bare minimum.

Back