Overflow Box

  • Thread starter Thread starter willist0
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

willist0

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 28, 2015
Messages
82
Reaction score
8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a 30 gal tank to build my sump/refugium, but I'm going to need an overflow box (it's 55 gal tank) Who makes the best one and why?
 
I'm a big fan of the cpr style overflows because u can put a aqualifter on them to ensure the siphon never fails
 
I have a custom made Lifereef dual on my 180. The way its designed, it can't lose siphon.Ever. If you don't use hard plumbing and instead use the hose that Lifereef supplies, you could place the overflow anywhere on the rim of your tank and move it should you choose to re-aquascape.
 
I was wanting to get one of the overflows that you put the aqualifter on, but you can buy the U pipes now with fittings for the same reason. The problem is that the aqualifters slowly get clogged or don't work well. This allows air to build up in top of the U pipe. One of the best things I found is to put a prefilter sponge in the tank side of the overflow, in order to stop small bubbles from getting into the U pipe.
 
CPR makes ok overflow boxes. I have one on my 40g breeder I have no complaints with it its just not custom built quality but I wasn't looking for that on this tank. Ive had 2 custom made by melev's reef. The first from him was a coast to coast overflow box on my old 75g tank and was built amazingly. I gave him a measurement that if the box was 1/8" bigger then what I said the overflow box wouldn't of fit in the tank with the center brace. Needless to say That box was exactly the measurement I gave him. The second is on my 125g reef now. Build quality is perfect, measurements were dead on what more can you ask for? Only issue with him is the time it takes, he's not very fast. I wasn't in a rush when I built my 125g and wanted everything to be perfect because I planned on dumping money into the tank so waited for one of his overflow boxes. So if you are not in a rush I would highly recommend him if you want it in less then two weeks look elsewhere. His prices are very reasonable also. But for your sized tank I would honestly just go with a CPR retrofit overflow box.
 
Eshopps overflows work great and with their design, will not lose the siphon unless air builds up, which only happens if you are not running enough flow.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new