Overflow box

Soud3665

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so I have this 160 gallon tank. I bought it as a freshwater tank and I'm currently moving to saltwater, I want to add a sump. It seems like the best way to do that is a hang on overflow box, but I've also heard it can be a problem if the siphon breaks. I don't want to drill a hole in the tank, and I don't really want to use canister filters, so what would be the best way to do this?

Thank you

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, you kinda painted yourself into a corner by saying you don't want to drill the tank.
So, your only true solution is to do a hang on overflow box.

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a hang on overflow box and I have the return pump sitting high in the sump so if the siphon breaks not much will overflow the tank. Two years no siphon break.

ScionFRSguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a big tank, you're going to have to put in a lot of work to get it going so I would think about it a little longer before you get things started. The last thing you want to do is put in sooo much work to then finding yourself wanting to upgrade. You might end up wanting to set up another tank with dimensions that you actually want with a built in overflow. If you're not happy with the dimensions, I would resell it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back