Overflow, drains, situation

Carl C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi community HNY !
so my overflow as 3 drains 2 are emergency the main drain is pretty far down (maybe halfway)
I’m having trouble with 2 things
1) is trouble tuning it ideally I’d like the water level to be a inch or so below the emergency drains, but no matter how much I micro turn the gate valve inevitably the water is either rising or falling I’d like it to remain level
2) the main drain (often) ends up being noisy within the sump, it’s my guess that air is trapped in there (but I’m not sure) turning the pump off and restarting will sometimes fix (but not always)

many simple fix ideas?
I’m not going to take it all apart and build a new drain , or swap out valves

Hoping I’m missing some (simple procedure)
Thanks in advance
Carl (Boston,ma)

29AF7663-E9C7-4C35-A245-7988A818313B.jpeg EAAB7B1B-826A-4C6B-979A-DED3574AF048.jpeg F2BD498D-6E6A-492E-9FDD-2A328E2EFEF5.jpeg C6A74EF3-8C92-4721-948A-231564028299.jpeg AD25295A-A719-4933-8D7A-78FADB4AE3DD.jpeg

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make smaller adjustments on your ball valve and wait longer for the system to balance out if you can’t get the water level to stabilize.
not sure if this will help but for my overflow drain I added a threaded piece to the top. This allows me to adjust the height of the overflow a bit

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be
-main drain (full siphon) lowest in overflow box, and about an inch below water in sump.
-Secondary drain with elbow on top about halfway, or less, below water level in overflow box, and about an inch below water in sump.
-emergency about 1/2-1” above water level in overflow box, and about an inch above water in sump so if it’s being used you hear it.
—-you use gate valve to get the water level in overflow box to the halfway on secondary, and water level in overflow box will go up and diwn until all air is purged out of main/full siphon. This may take a few minutes

OP
OP
Carl C

Carl C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be
-main drain (full siphon) lowest in overflow box, and about an inch below water in sump.
-Secondary drain with elbow on top about halfway, or less, below water level in overflow box, and about an inch below water in sump.
-emergency about 1/2-1” above water level in overflow box, and about an inch above water in sump so if it’s being used you hear it.
—-you use gate valve to get the water level in overflow box to the halfway on secondary, and water level in overflow box will go up and diwn until all air is purged out of main/full siphon. This may take a few minutes
I’m

OP
OP
Carl C

Carl C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set my tank up with help of a pro at a LFS I pushed very hard for Beananimal set up and studied the diagrams and postings for months even tried desperately to contact the inventor (with no luck) my LFS person tried with the elbows on both emergency drains and couldn’t get it to work satisfactorily so we ditched the elbows ; love to have a phone call with you some time if you are willing
I still have the elbows
Thank you Carl 781-888-5284

OP
OP
Carl C

Carl C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make smaller adjustments on your ball valve and wait longer for the system to balance out if you can’t get the water level to stabilize.
not sure if this will help but for my overflow drain I added a threaded piece to the top. This allows me to adjust the height of the overflow a bit
Tell me more about the threaded piece? Thank you Carl

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set my tank up with help of a pro at a LFS I pushed very hard for Beananimal set up and studied the diagrams and postings for months even tried desperately to contact the inventor (with no luck) my LFS person tried with the elbows on both emergency drains and couldn’t get it to work satisfactorily so we ditched the elbows ; love to have a phone call with you some time if you are willing
I still have the elbows
Thank you Carl 781-888-5284
Will call you in about an hour. Have a couple of errands...

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have a DC pump, I would adjust the return flow on it to tune the system. As HockeyRooster said, make small adjustments but give the system a few minutes to settle in each time before you change the adjustment again. Also if you have an ATO, turn it off before you tune the circulation or it will interfere.

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell me more about the threaded piece? Thank you Carl
It’s a male and female threadEd piece with straight female ends. So it threads together and you can insert pipe into each side.
Wow. that is a horrible description. Let me know if it makes sense. If not I’ll try to get a pic.

OP
OP
Carl C

Carl C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love to
It’s a male and female threadEd piece with straight female ends. So it threads together and you can insert pipe into each side.
Wow. that is a horrible description. Let me know if it makes sense. If not I’ll try to get a pic.
see a pic

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love to

see a pic
They aren’t great but hopefully you can see it. I have two options to change the height of the overflow. One, screw the two grey pieces apart or two, remove the top pipe extension and add a different size.
image.jpg image.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back