Overflow for a coralife bio cube 32

reef32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for recommendations for a hang on the back overflow box for a bio cube 32 I’m building a sump and looking for a good hang on overflow. I just bought one without fully researching that needs to be drill and I can’t find anything reliable saying if you can or can’t drill a bio cube! So looking for Recommendations on a hang on one! I will be running a pump that’s rated for 590 gph

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you return it? There are some youtube videos on it but honestly I wouldn't bother if you can return the tank. If so, try the youtube videos first for a reference and maybe go from there.

I see some places mentioning they have tempered glass (or at least on the back), which would make the answer a no.

If it was used and you can't return it, consider making it a QT tank.

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a cheap hang on the back filter like marineland or something along those lines. Drill out a hole plumb it and your set. That way you also wont have to worry about anything gravity fed and you can also run media in it?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a cheap hang on the back filter like marineland or something along those lines. Drill out a hole plumb it and your set. That way you also wont have to worry about anything gravity fed and you can also run media in it?

You never want to do that. It needs to be gravity fed so that it matches the return pump speed.

OP
OP
R

reef32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I’m going to be returning the overflow box that needs drilled. I will be adding a sump to my bio cube so looking for an overflow that doesn’t need to be drill in and is rated for a good sized pump (590gph pump)

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a terrible idea that will cause water to overflow on the floor when the pump for the hang on back filter slows down

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank isnt running yet I would look into selling it to replace it with something already drilled or a tank with non tempered glass that you can drill yourself. Hang on back overflows are noisier and can fail causing water to overflow onto the floor if it does fail.
If you decide to stick with the hob overflow idea I would look into a float switch to turn off the main pump when water level gets too low in the sump (water level gets too low if the overflow box turns off). Not ideal but adds another point of protection in case it does lose its siphon

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You match the return speed just like anything else. Does your tank have gravity run overflows?
yea.

If you use a powered hob filter as an overflow and then the return pump slows down more than the hob, the water level in the sump increases causing the protein skimmer to overflow. When the hob filter pump slows down more than the return pump the whole tank overflows. Any pump can slow down even from the tiniest of build up. This is just a bad idea

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 82 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back