OP
OP
Mfreddy

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting comment on the overflow. You would think as the water level increased the flow would as well, I've considered that.

I bought a 25' sink snake today and couldn't push it through the 90's so I've made no progress. I removed the 90's and it's clear 4" below the tank bottom. I can't get the snake past the 90 to get to the horizontal section of pipe.

I want to reiterate this is a significant change in flow on the 1 drain with no physical changes to the 240g Fowlr system.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ML may 'say' 700 gph per side, but the practical limit is much less than that. Regardless, with two 2" durso drains, the OP should not be seeing such low flow. Sounds like a block to me.
The Drain can handle upwards of 800 gph. ML says 700 is optimal, but it can do more, and that’s good guidance

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut the pipes before the 90’s. Then you can use a coupler to reconnect, or unions so you can easily get it apart again if you want

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the weir off and see how it effects flow. That will tell you if the weir is the restricting factor

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Drain can handle upwards of 800 gph. ML says 700 is optimal, but it can do more, and that’s good guidance

Don't wish to divert the OPs thread, but mass market tank manufacturers are the last people to be taking advice from. They've not innovated drain systems in 20 years and are woefully behind the times. Why do you think most experienced reefers eschew RR tanks in favor of self drilled herbie or BA style drains. Trying to put 700/800 gph down a single durso style 1" drain will result in flushing and a heck of a racket. Theoretically possible, I suppose, but hardly practical. Also keep in mind that most people are getting much less flow from their pumps than they think. Just put a flow meter on and you'll see.

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second cut the pipes and snake them that way. Use unions to put them back together to save you the hassle next time.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was this tank running for a while, or is it new? Are you missing any fish? Maybe one jumped the overflow and got sucked in? Because you shouldn't have a blockage that bad from a FOWLR. No snails, right? Are you filter socks clogged up? That can reduce draining a lot. But I run 50 microns in my FOWLR, so they clog faster.

Are the grates at the top of the weir all gacked up? If your fish are bigger, you can cut every other one out to increase flow. But I would just remove the plate first to see. This is a head scratcher.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't wish to divert the OPs thread, but mass market tank manufacturers are the last people to be taking advice from. They've not innovated drain systems in 20 years and are woefully behind the times. Why do you think most experienced reefers eschew RR tanks in favor of self drilled herbie or BA style drains. Trying to put 700/800 gph down a single durso style 1" drain will result in flushing and a heck of a racket. Theoretically possible, I suppose, but hardly practical. Also keep in mind that most people are getting much less flow from their pumps than they think. Just put a flow meter on and you'll see.

It only makes the flushing sound if you're running so much flow that it covers the syphon block hole, creates a syphon, and then levels out. Rinse and repeat. A reef ready tank is a matter of convenience. Even "experienced" reefers use them. I personally like that the Marineland tanks are one of the few that suck water through grates lower in the tank. Surface skimming only goes so far. I think I catch more debris from those lower vents than over the top.

The real problem is the quality of the tanks and the return syphon break hole that sprays water against the INSIDE of the weir. But I agree, they should have updated their filtration a long time ago. I see it more like they give you four 1" bulkheads and you do what you want with them. You're not forced to use the included Dursos.

Pivitol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holes drilled in both with a snorkel on each, the guy that installed the pumps "equalized" them by moving them both out about an inch. Flow has slowed since that.

System has been up for 20 months and I've had a huge algae problem that I'm treating with algae fix. I'm wondering if I should snake the tubes.

I have a fowlr and just looking for adequate flow, nothing special.
It sounds like you need the guy who installed the pumps to "unequalize" the drains. Do they make gurgling or slurping noises now?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not wish to divert op thread either. So I will just say that I was correcting your misinformation about ML Durso maxing out at 700. That comes from personal experience, not what MR claims. Yes of course Herbie or ba are quieter.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not wish to divert op thread either. So I will just say that I was correcting your misinformation about ML Durso maxing out at 700. That comes from personal experience, not what MR claims. Yes of course Herbie or ba are quieter.

Sigh ..... maybe just go back and actually read what was posted. It was not I that said 700, rather I said that 700 was impractical. That you are running that much doesn't make it a good idea of course (though I actually doubt that you really are). But, carry on .......

OP
OP
Mfreddy

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2, not one

It all comes apart, nothings glued.

Tank is 21 months old, all large fish but messy eaters.

I bought a drain snake today but couldn't get it past the 90 below the bulkhead.

I keep going back to what was once equal flow is not now. One's output is 25% of the other.

Socks are changed frequently, no issue there.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If both drains are same height in overflow, than some kind of blockage or restriction is cause the big dif in flow

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sigh ..... maybe just go back and actually read what was posted. It was not I that said 700, rather I said that 700 was impractical. That you are running that much doesn't make it a good idea of course (though I actually doubt that you really are). But, carry on .......
Did read it, even quoted it. 700 gph is ‘practical’, regardless of what ML says. But what they say is 700 gph is ‘optimal’

OP
OP
Mfreddy

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, what's a Weir?
It sounds like you need the guy who installed the pumps to "unequalize" the drains. Do they make gurgling or slurping noises now?
not much. Hard to tell what's going into the overflow vs through the 2 socks. Not loud, actually quiet due to the M1's. Loudest things now are the skimmer and the pump running the UV. Happy with that.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a single two inch drain is an absolute monster at full siphon. you need to run the system as a beanimal.

put a gate valve on ONE of the pipes and then take the riser pipe off that same pipe in the overflow.

Now, close the gate valve about half way and turn the pump on. open the gate valve until you hear sucking.. then close a little.

My 1.5" drain moves 4,000 gph at full siphon but I have quite a drop.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would make it a herbie .... though still a huge improvement over any variation of the standard standpipe. Haven't run a single drain system since ..... well, around 1990 LOL. Maybe not strictly true as my QT has a single drain, though not for much longer. I no longer buy reef ready tanks - far better to drill and either DIY or buy an aftermarket ghost-style overflow.

OP
OP
Mfreddy

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still haven't solved whether or not the second pipe is clogged. I bought a drain snake that resembles an electrical fish tape and it won't go past the 90

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't speak for everyone but now I'd like to know. Cut the 90's off already

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still haven't solved whether or not the second pipe is clogged. I bought a drain snake that resembles an electrical fish tape and it won't go past the 90

Maybe you said this already .... but how long have the drains been running? It's generally a good idea to avoid horizontal runs. Hard to imagine what would clog a 2" pipe though. Missing a large tang by chance?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 82 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back