Overflow Or

Simon Cushing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
Couple of questions:
One: from the overflow I have my setting with just a trickle of water down through the drain to the sump, would this be right or Not?
Two: my fairly old Tunze Doc skimmer 9006 is designed for wet skimming, is it better to wet skim or Dry skim!?
Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated;)
I uploaded a photo though not brilliant to show the level of water I have in the weir/ overflow box

IMG_0027.JPG

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crank up the overflows a little more than that, 4-6 times the tank volume is where a lot of people shoot for.
As far as skimming, this is all total preference and is your choice. Personally, I shoot for common ground so not to wet or dry..

OP
OP
Simon Cushing

Simon Cushing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crank up the overflows a little more than that, 4-6 times the tank volume is where a lot of people shoot for.
As far as skimming, this is all total preference and is your choice. Personally, I shoot for common ground so not to wet or dry..
Thanks Mate for the info,
For the skimmer I have opted more towards the dry.
Can I crank up the flow up with my return pump adjusting the ball valve ? Or open the ball valve more to raise the turnover?

Mark3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Myself, I like a wet skim....set mine to fill collection cup in 2 days or less....then I empty it every day (about half full) when I feed.
I feel like it is getting the most out that way.

and as for overflow, ...I set my flow as fast as my drains will take it, that's 3 drains at full flow and the 4th drain just a trickle....adjusted with variable speed pumps.

OP
OP
Simon Cushing

Simon Cushing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Myself, I like a wet skim....set mine to fill collection cup in 2 days or less....then I empty it every day (about half full) when I feed.
I feel like it is getting the most out that way.

and as for overflow, ...I set my flow as fast as my drains will take it, that's 3 drains at full flow and the 4th drain just a trickle....adjusted with variable speed pumps.
Thanks Mark,
I have 1 drain from the overflow 1 emergency drain, on my 60g cube, so would it be ok to set my drain flow to take more from the weir by increasing my pump speed setting then adjust the ball valve ? I have the Jebao DCP return pump 6500 at a setting of 55% I could increase to 60% .

Mark3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok...so you have one drain and one emergency....total of 2 drains. Set your pump speed to where you just get a small trickle down the 2nd drain, and the first drain is at full flow...that will be your max setting. The 2nd drain is there for safe flow and should be dry or just a trickle. Open your valve so you can get max flow and adjust with your pump...then fine tune with valve if you wish.

OP
OP
Simon Cushing

Simon Cushing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok...so you have one drain and one emergency....total of 2 drains. Set your pump speed to where you just get a small trickle down the 2nd drain, and the first drain is at full flow...that will be your max setting. The 2nd drain is there for safe flow and should be dry or just a trickle. Open your valve so you can get max flow and adjust with your pump...then fine tune with valve if you wish.
So from what you are saying the emergency drain has my ball valve= 1st drain, my second drain should be at a trickle! Am I right from your description here.

Mark3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nope....just the opposite, your emergency drain has no valve, and should be open and ready for any emergency flow. The valve should be on your working drain.

Mark3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
start with valve full open, and adjust pump to get just a trickle down the emergency drain, then back the pump down just a bit more so the emergency drain is dry....then you can fine tune with the valve to get just the slightest trickle down the emergency drain, ....that will be your max water flow.
You want the emergency drain ready to handle any overflow from the main drain, (such as a snail getting in the main drain pipe)

If no emergency drain, it would only take a few minutes for a flood situation if a snail happens to plug up the main drain.

OP
OP
Simon Cushing

Simon Cushing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My drains
nope....just the opposite, your emergency drain has no valve, and should be open and ready for any emergency flow. The valve should be on your working drain.
start with valve full open, and adjust pump to get just a trickle down the emergency drain, then back the pump down just a bit more so the emergency drain is dry....then you can fine tune with the valve to get just the slightest trickle down the emergency drain, ....that will be your max water flow.
You want the emergency drain ready to handle any overflow from the main drain, (such as a snail getting in the main drain pipe)

If no emergency drain, it would only take a few minutes for a flood situation if a snail happens to plug up the main drain.

thank you very much for your assistance Mark if that is your name, I will reset the flow as you have mentioned here:) thank you so much for your time ;) much appreciated for your help:)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 78.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back