Overflow Pipe Size and Return Pump on Custom 60 Gallon

HandsyLobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Im in the process on building my tank and need to help in regards to what size bulk heads / hole size I should use for the over flow / return. Also for the return pump and recommendations would be great!

My tank will be a 30x30x16 with a 20 gallon sump. Im going to do a Herbie over flow that will be drilled at the bottom on the tank. This tank will mainly be a SPS tank so high flow is what I'm planning on.

Any Help would be amazing.

Thanks!

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You! I was thinking of going 1.25" for pipes and and 1" for returns. Im shooting for 400-500 GPH through they sump. Im learning so nay input wold help greatly.

Thanks,

That size pipe would be more then adequate for that flow rate. You'd have to dial in the full siphon drain with a gate valve reducing the size anyway but the emergency would be able to more than handle that flow with no issues.

I have a bean animal overflow setup with 1" drains. I would prefer bigger but it works. It handles around 800-900gph that I push through it just fine. For the return I have 1" pipe from the pump split via a T to two 3/4" inlets in the tank.

OP
OP
HandsyLobster

HandsyLobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That size pipe would be more then adequate for that flow rate. You'd have to dial in the full siphon drain with a gate valve reducing the size anyway but the emergency would be able to more than handle that flow with no issues.

I have a bean animal overflow setup with 1" drains. I would prefer bigger but it works. It handles around 800-900gph that I push through it just fine. For the return I have 1" pipe from the pump split via a T to two 3/4" inlets in the tank.
Perfect!

This has been a great help. Im planning on getting the

Jebao (DCW-3500) for a return pump rated to 900 GPH do you think this may be overkill as I want to run the pump at around 50%​

Thanks,

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect!

This has been a great help. Im planning on getting the

Jebao (DCW-3500) for a return pump rated to 900 GPH do you think this may be overkill as I want to run the pump at around 50%​

Thanks,

You may want bigger then that. You have head height to deal with. Total = hight + fittings + pipe size etc. That will reduce your flow a good bit. Probably like the 6000.

I had a Jebao DCT-15000 and ran perfect for I think 5 or more years. I took it offline to try out one of their new smart pump the EP-10000. I run my sump in the basement so have a couple more feet of head hight to deal with.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back