Overflow/piping help

Tjbell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I have been reefing for about 8 years, and am now getting into the world of sumps, and overflows and such. well I have a 53G marineland tank to be set up, and I am wondering, what Should i run for an overflow? How do I route the piping? The sump will be a Trigger systems Ruby 30in. any info appreciated!
Thanks
TJ

john472

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First find out if it's tempered glass if so then don't cut it a chip will lead to a crack that will lead to a pond in your home. Tempered glass=hob overflow box. overflow should match or exceed the pump output. The water level will adjust to the GPH

Either way I've seen the youtube pros strongly suggest dual pipes one higher than the other by a quarter inch. both with a "U" top so the gurgling water noise doesn't drive you mad. *Put a hole in the top of the "U" to let air out. 1/16 drill bit should work. Two drain tubes with a cut off. Just in case. The last foot foot and a half down with flex line to the sump for easy movement/bends. You can then do a single flex line up to a check valve to stop water from backflowing should your return pump cut out and from there either a single return line or a "T" to the two spouts. Not sure of any extras you may want to add in he lines so just stuck with the basic.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back