Overflow questions :)

Uptightjoker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers.. After going back and forth and up and down and around, I finally got a tank to start my first reef tank. I bought a 125 gallon used, and actually plan on cleaning it and getting it on the stand tonight :) . I don't have the equipment, or space to drill myself, and don't have means to move the tank, so I planned on using HOB overflow. One thing I was wondering though, is it better to use 1 overflow box with 2 drains, or run 2 smaller overflow boxes with 1 drain each? (I'm planning on picking up a 40 gallon tank from Petco to turn into DIY sump). Some of the tanks I have seen that have internal overflows have one in each of the back corners, which is why I was wondering if there is a reason to run 2 as opposed to just one bigger box. (I'll also take feedback on choice for sump, part of me wants to go for a 55, which I think would fit, but i feel like 40 will be enough)

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two cents.....now is the time to drill that tank and have the peace of mind that there is a lot less likelihood of water on the floor. I started with an HOB overflow, and after two floods (and this was with an Aqualifter to help prevent loss of siphon), I drilled the tank.

And a 40B is an ideal sump size. The 55 is too narrow and tall.

OP
OP
U

Uptightjoker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two cents.....now is the time to drill that tank and have the peace of mind that there is a lot less likelihood of water on the floor. I started with an HOB overflow, and after two floods (and this was with an Aqualifter to help prevent loss of siphon), I drilled the tank.

And a 40B is an ideal sump size. The 55 is too narrow and tall.

I have read alot of back and forth on HOB vs drilled.. and I've decided to go with HOB.. I just don't have a feasible way to get it drilled or drill it, and it seems like 50/50.. some people hate HOB because they've had floods and other people love them and have never had an issue. My real question was whether or not there was an advantage or disadvantage to running one big overflow vs 2 smaller ones. one of the reef ready tanks I looked at had 2 built in overflows, one in each corner and I wasn't sure if they were both used or if one was just emergency.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just shut down the last tank in my house with a HOB setup. the problem i had was if i forgot to change the sock, it would put too much water in the show, so id have a salinity shift etc. I did enjoy the extra room. my new upgrade tank is a marineland so i have the corner overflows, i lost some floor space, but i have peace of mind.

Chad Sepulvado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s not asking about your internal overflows. He’s asking for help with what HE wants...

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back