Overflow, water circulation, and stagnant water

Devonjevon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a corner overflow. I was wondering if water can become stagnant at the bottom of the overflow? Can this scenario ever become a problem? Maybe I'm thinking to much. Do I need to drop a small pump in it to circulate?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worried about this for quite some time as well as I would see stuff just sitting there.....then I started dropping a snail here and there or a hermit...seemed to work...for me anyway. As for the flow I put a koralia in one setup and in my new one I have no stand pipe....so I draw from the bottom of the overflow....so no worries.

OP
OP
Devonjevon

Devonjevon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I actually got all the parts ready to do something fancy. Plan on installing a bulkhead 3/4 of the way down close to the back wall, then use a lock line flow nozzle and aim it at the back of my aquarium for flow behind the rocks. Inside the sump I'll put a maxijet and hook the output directly to the bulkhead.
Im thinking this would increase the amount of water going into my overflow.

Or maybe I should just leave it alone and spend a weekend outside instead of in my tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plan on installing a bulkhead 3/4 of the way down close to the back wall, then use a lock line flow nozzle and aim it at the back of my aquarium for flow behind the rocks. Inside the sump I'll put a maxijet and hook the output directly to the bulkhead.

Don't do it! In the event of a power failure it will drain the tank down to the end of the LocLine and flood the sump.

OP
OP
Devonjevon

Devonjevon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the bulkhead will be inside of tank on wall of corner overflow. The only danger I would have would be in the event that the power went out and the standpipe which is glued together came loose. I think

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 48 42.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 52 46.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back