Overloading tank?

Daniel225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all after struggling with ick and going fallow to get reinfected again and now doing ick management i lost alot of my fish in the first outbreak and now have a friend thats stripping down there tank and have the opportunity to fill mine up again for cheap but my worry is will adding double the fish overnight stress everything out and i lose half of them?

I have
Foxface
Clowns
Coral beauty
Cleaner wrasse

Im wanting to add
Royal gramma
Peacock wrasse
Eyelash blenny
Firefish
Scopas tang
Also assorted coral about 6 different colony's thats on live rock

Im not worried about bioload its a 4ft 500L that had plenty of bacteria & fish before before the first outbreak also i have a bottle of ATM colony that could be used to just top it off (if needed)

Thoughts?

OP
OP
Daniel225

Daniel225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
acclimation will be fish and Corals drip acclimated for a few hours to put them in dispay as i want to keep the fish & corals transported together in barrel

I will feed my fish before then keep the lights off for a good 24hr (probably kill some algea aswell) to not disturb everything while settling in

Only other problem is i cant dip the corals really as it will fill up a 25L barrel full and thats a lot of dip

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest thing with ich management is to keep the tank stress free as possible. You don’t know where that line is but you won’t know until you test it unfortunately. I would try to add 3 then wait and add the last 3 later if it were my tank.

OP
OP
Daniel225

Daniel225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest thing with ich management is to keep the tank stress free as possible. You don’t know where that line is but you won’t know until you test it unfortunately. I would try to add 3 then wait and add the last 3 later if it were my tank.
I suppose i could setup my QT tank again with some of the live rock for a week or 2

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're setting yourself up for disaster if you add everything at once.
Any chance you can do this in two or three steps over a few weeks?
Also you could dip corals separately in a small container, but if you have the ability to set up an observation tank I would do that and add slowly.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back