Overnight crash

berner530

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 1, 2025
Messages
34
Reaction score
6
Location
Northern California
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, so last night I added a banded serpent starfish and a couple mushroom corals (dipped and rinsed) and this morning I woke up this morning and 6 of my fish passed away. I have no ideas what happened I fed last night and added copepods and everyone seemed fine. Then this morning my clownfish pair tomini tang arc eye hawkfish mccuskers wrasse and lawnmower blenny had passed along with my fire shrimp and several of my tiger trochus snails. My watchmen pistol shrimp combo is still alive along with my psychedelic goby, urchin, sand sifting star and new banded star and all of my coral. Fish don’t have anything on them like ich spots but I don’t know what to do now. Water is a bit cloudy and ammonia and nitrite are showing zeros any help or information is greatly appreciated.
20260928_132815_E87CD58B-3BA1-444E-88CC-EB7EF22E2415.png
 
Hello, so last night I added a banded serpent starfish and a couple mushroom corals (dipped and rinsed) and this morning I woke up this morning and 6 of my fish passed away. I have no ideas what happened I fed last night and added copepods and everyone seemed fine. Then this morning my clownfish pair tomini tang arc eye hawkfish mccuskers wrasse and lawnmower blenny had passed along with my fire shrimp and several of my tiger trochus snails. My watchmen pistol shrimp combo is still alive along with my psychedelic goby, urchin, sand sifting star and new banded star and all of my coral. Fish don’t have anything on them like ich spots but I don’t know what to do now. Water is a bit cloudy and ammonia and nitrite are showing zeros any help or information is greatly appreciated.
20260928_132815_E87CD58B-3BA1-444E-88CC-EB7EF22E2415.png

Tough to say, but the shrimp also dying does point to something other than a fish disease. Transient low dissolved oxygen levels will cause that.

Can you post a video of the remaining fish?
 
Hello, so last night I added a banded serpent starfish and a couple mushroom corals (dipped and rinsed) and this morning I woke up this morning and 6 of my fish passed away. I have no ideas what happened I fed last night and added copepods and everyone seemed fine. Then this morning my clownfish pair tomini tang arc eye hawkfish mccuskers wrasse and lawnmower blenny had passed along with my fire shrimp and several of my tiger trochus snails. My watchmen pistol shrimp combo is still alive along with my psychedelic goby, urchin, sand sifting star and new banded star and all of my coral. Fish don’t have anything on them like ich spots but I don’t know what to do now. Water is a bit cloudy and ammonia and nitrite are showing zeros any help or information is greatly appreciated.
20260928_132815_E87CD58B-3BA1-444E-88CC-EB7EF22E2415.png

Tough to say, but the shrimp also dying does point to something other than a fish disease. Transient low dissolved oxygen levels will cause that.

Can you post a video of the remaining fish?
I’m at work so I can’t get a video now but my watchmen and pistol shrimp are fine non labored breathing and the colors are fine and same goes for the psychedelic. But I can’t provide a video in a couple hours
 
Did you turn off the equipment to add the fish and corals and forget to turn the equipment back on?
 
I’m at work so I can’t get a video now but my watchmen and pistol shrimp are fine non labored breathing and the colors are fine and same goes for the psychedelic. But I can’t provide a video in a couple hours
This is not a power outage and agree on low dissolved oxygen. Did you notice prior, loss of appetite or elevated breathing?
With shrimp alive, rules out a water issue however, what is ammonia level and how are you testing it?
 
I’m at work so I can’t get a video now but my watchmen and pistol shrimp are fine non labored breathing and the colors are fine and same goes for the psychedelic. But I can’t provide a video in a couple hours
This is not a power outage and agree on low dissolved oxygen. Did you notice prior, loss of appetite or elevated breathing?
With shrimp alive, rules out a water issue however, what is ammonia level and how are you testing it?
No everyone seemed fine yesterday when I fed no heavy breathing or struggle swimming everyone ate as well
 
I’m at work so I can’t get a video now but my watchmen and pistol shrimp are fine non labored breathing and the colors are fine and same goes for the psychedelic. But I can’t provide a video in a couple hours
This is not a power outage and agree on low dissolved oxygen. Did you notice prior, loss of appetite or elevated breathing?
With shrimp alive, rules out a water issue however, what is ammonia level and how are you testing it?
No everyone seemed fine yesterday when I fed no heavy breathing or struggle swimming everyone ate as well
And ammonia is showing zero and I’m using a salifert test kit
 

Here’s a vid of the psychedelic goby swimming around when I got home from work
 

Here’s a vid of the psychedelic goby swimming around when I got home from work
Video is too short and glass dirty to see anything unusual
 
The cloudy water is a bit unusual. I would suggest something happened to the sandbed, but you already had several creatures that would have already disturbed the sandbed if the sandbed was the problem.
 

Here’s a vid of the psychedelic goby swimming around when I got home from work
Video is too short and glass dirty to see anything unusual
Yeah sorry he’s been swimming around it was tough to find him but the breathing is normal and colors are spot on
 
I spoke to a guy at my lfs and he think it could be velvet but he agrees it would be unnaturally fast if that was the cause
 
I spoke to a guy at my lfs and he think it could be velvet but he agrees it would be unnaturally fast if that was the cause
The behaviors you described with fish would discount velvet
 
Seems obvious to me it was the dip. Why would any of the other things mentioned so far have happened overnight right after the dips when everything was fine before? Somethng ELSE would have to have changed....but only the dipped corals were added.

No other suspects is pretty much sufficient to point the blame.

This kind of outcome is the reason a dip is a dip and it is not added to the tank as an additive....because it will do this to the tank.

Too much dip made it into the tank.
 
Yeah sorry he’s been swimming around it was tough to find him but the breathing is normal and colors are spot on

I missed that the fish losses were over two days, I thought they died overnight. That reduces the chance that this was a transient low oxygen event. It also reduces the chance it was poisoning - as all fish would be affected at the time of poisoning, and would show symptoms.

Velvet causes rapid breathing and not eating a day or two before death that you would have noticed, and typically leaves no survivors.

What dip did you use?
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new