Owen Spackman's 180 (mostly) SPS Reef w/ shallow frag tank

owenspackman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All!

Now I'm spending more time here with you all, I figured I would share my 180 Gallon (mostly) SPS Reef.

The tank was built by Miracles Of Glass in April 2013 and set up in April/May 2013 as an upgrade to my AllGlass 120. My 120 had sprung a leak in February earlier this year and I made the decision to tear it down and rebuild with the new 180.

The tank is a rimless 48x36x24 with 3 sided starphire 3/4" glass. I have always preferred the deeper tanks to the longer/narrower tanks, I feel you have much more options for aquascaping and it provides more enjoyable viewing ability. The cabinet was built by myself and my Fiancé over the course of a month or so. It was built larger than the tank to incorporate a tile ledge around the edge and to create more working space inside of the cabinet. We also built it taller than the average, so there would be no leaning over to look into the tank, it's mostly at chest height.

Lighting is provided by 2 AI Vegas, controlled by the director, this will eventually be increased to 4 Vegas, but currently 2 are supporting my needs. The sump is a 40 gallon breeder, with a chamber for filter socks, refugium and skimmer. The return pump is a Reeflo Snapper/Dart Gold set on full, providing return to the tank and also to a manifold which controls flow to my GFO Reactor and Alage Turf Scrubber. Dosing is controlled via a doser for 2 Part BRS dosing of the big three. Supplemental dosing is done daily with Red Sea's Reed Colors and Reef Energy. Control of the tank is left to my Apex Controller. Quarantine is handled in a 30 Gallon where fish undergo observation and treatment over a 4-6 week period. Maintenance is undertaken once a week where a water change of 10-15% is completed to replenish the tanks water of any missing nutrients.

A month ago I added a frag tank to the system. I had grown tired of the frag racks and their clutter in the display, after educating my finance on our ability to trade and sell frags to the local reef keepers and that it will eventually pay for itself, she gave the go ahead. It consists of a 48x24x5 hydroponic flood tray and stand, it is plumbed directly into the display tank to avoid me having to care for two systems, no frags/colonies can move back and forth with no concern and i've increased the water volume of my system by 30 more gallons. Lighting is provided by a AI Hydra, eventually to be 2 Hydras.

That's all on the tank for now, I'm sure there is plenty I have forgotten!

I will post a few photos to show the build and the tanks progression to the state it's in today. Unfortunately this will not be a build thread from the ground up, but that does exist, so if you're interested please PM me.

I will keep this thread updated regularly, I am a BIG photo poster and am always taking photos of the changes and growth inside the tank.

Any questions? Just ask!

Thanks for looking.

nmertz1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooo nice! I love how people are making the stands bigger and with a ledge. Gives much more working room underneath

OP
OP
owenspackman

owenspackman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting her wet!

Freshwater test

Aquascaping and filling her up! (since removed large amounts of egg crate)

Last edited:
OP
OP
owenspackman

owenspackman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How she looks today, at 7 months old, December 2013. She's a long way from where I want her to be, but she's getting there.

OP
OP
owenspackman

owenspackman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Frag Tank!

All my small frags go in here, once i'm happy with their acclimation and growth they are placed into the display.

And here is the King of the tank:

Last edited:
OP
OP
owenspackman

owenspackman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooo nice! I love how people are making the stands bigger and with a ledge. Gives much more working room underneath

that's always been my biggest pet peeve about my previous set ups, no space inside the stand! And then they're too low that skimmers/equipment is too tall! So building it this way fixed those issues.

Plus having the ledge around the end of the tank is so useful during viewing of the tank, maintenance and water testing!

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful setup, nicely done. Liking the frag setup and especially your king of the tank!!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Stellar job! Love this build!! I also am a huge fan of the oversized stand and ledge.

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love it! i may have missed it, but how long has the moorish idol been in your care?

OP
OP
owenspackman

owenspackman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful setup, nicely done. Liking the frag setup and especially your king of the tank!!

Thank you Saltgator, I appreciate it! I took inspiration for the frag tank from the BRS set up they sell.

Stellar job! Love this build!! I also am a huge fan of the oversized stand and ledge.

Thanks revhtree! and thanks for the hard work you do for the R2R community!

love it! i may have missed it, but how long has the moorish idol been in your care?

Hey Benny, you didn't miss it, I actually didn't really speak about him yet.

I've had him since Mid September. He was a purchase from BlueZooAquatics. He spent 5 weeks in quarantine where i worked on getting him to feed. It didn't take long, he ate his first meal after 48 hours, which was fresh scallops (that he still has to this day). He had 2 weeks of PraziPro and then 4 weeks of Cupermine (neither which surpressed his appetite) and since then he has been in the display tank.

Before he left quarantine I assured he was accepting all food offered (only thing he refuesed was Blackworms). He now eats (a ton of) Nori, flake, pellets, variety of frozen food (mysis, brine etc), live brine and his favorite scallops. He goes through 1-2 sheets of Nori a day and will accept it from my hand.

So far so good. So he has been with me for 3 months, still a long way to go with this guy.

blue.flyzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stunning...did you put a fuge in the sump? If so, how did you set it up?

james30ct

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet set up. Do you find it hard to balance the low nutrient system with how much the moorish eats? I've always wanted one just wasnt sure if it would lead to algae problems.

ReeferMan420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the setup. Ideally I would love to have a ledge like that on my new build. Give spot to have the little ones sit and check out the magic. I also like the shallow system of tank you chose. Excellent build sir.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back