Oxiclean Free - safe to use on socks?

CivicS14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t to run bleach since I’m on septic, but been reading about its use. Here are the ingredients.

C73A7762-F101-4DDA-9A96-E555D511FFD5.jpeg

rob taft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a septic system. The small amount of bleach used in a washing machine will not cause damage to the system.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ambiguous naming of the ingredients precludes know with certainty from that alone, but I expect that if you rinse well it will be fine. If you put the "clean' sock in some fresh water and squeeze it and create bubbles that don't rapidly pop. there are still surfactants present that, IMO, should be washed out.

OP
OP
CivicS14

CivicS14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ambiguous naming of the ingredients precludes know with certainty from that alone, but I expect that if you rinse well it will be fine. If you put the "clean' sock in some fresh water and squeeze it and create bubbles that don't rapidly pop. there are still surfactants present that, IMO, should be washed out.
Thanks Randy.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used oxyclean and bleach. I alwasys run my socks on the quick cycle with extra rinse. I have never had an issue. I have also not notices any improvement over bleach by using the oxyclean other than odor. They smell better after washing in Oxyclean than just straight bleach.

OP
OP
CivicS14

CivicS14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used oxyclean and bleach. I alwasys run my socks on the quick cycle with extra rinse. I have never had an issue. I have also not notices any improvement over bleach by using the oxyclean other than odor. They smell better after washing in Oxyclean than just straight bleach.
Do you keep any corals? I know I seen several people say they use oxiclean, but I don't recall if they kept any corals or any long term usage.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you keep any corals? I know I seen several people say they use oxiclean, but I don't recall if they kept any corals or any long term usage.
I do... softies, nothing too crazy. I do not use Oxy religiously. If I have it and I remember ... if the socks are particularly smelly. I have never used it without bleach.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley I did some more digging and here are the specifics:
Sodium Carbonate
Sodium Carbonate Peroxide
C12-15 alcohols ethoxylated
Acrylic acid homopolymer

Does that change anything?

Not for the worse, no. Small amounts of those are OK.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure why people feel the need to nuke there socks to clean them with chemicals like its absolutely necessary or the tank will have issues. Its not necessary, I've just hosed them off with a garden hose for as long as I can remember with absolutely no issues. It is not necessary to use bleach, etc... to clean socks.

OP
OP
CivicS14

CivicS14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure why people feel the need to nuke there socks to clean them with chemicals like its absolutely necessary or the tank will have issues. Its not necessary, I've just hosed them off with a garden hose for as long as I can remember with absolutely no issues. It is not necessary to use bleach, etc... to clean socks.
I’m sure it’s not, but I’m lazy and washing 20 socks at a time is easier in a washing machine

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back