oxybenzone free sun screen

kaskiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked what my wife gets us for sunscreen, Blue Lizard Sensitive, their site seems to indicate it is free of oxybenzone.

OP
OP
kaskiles

kaskiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I forgot the backstory...

I was just reading about oxybenzone killing corals:
Even a tiny amount of the ingredient – 62 parts per trillion, or a drop of water in six olympic-sized swimming pools – can prove toxic to young coral, but in higher concentrations, it can also prove fatal to adult coral.

First thing I thought of was putting my hand in the tank after being out with sunscreen...
I just checked what my wife gets us for sunscreen, Blue Lizard Sensitive, their site seems to indicate it is free of oxybenzone.

But wiki was also saying that oxybenzone is added as a uv stablizer to plastics, cosmetics, etc. So I guess it's something to look out for in general, especially if it's going into aerosols used commonly in the house.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DiverGirl82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw something about this on a diving forum about how Scuba divers wearing Sun screen could be contributing to coral reef deaths around the World. I felt terrible because I usually wear a little on my face when I dive.

Habib(Salifert)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately also the mineral based (oxides of titanium and zinc) sunscreens are not completely harmless towards corals. Albeit much higher concentration compared to oxybenzone is required.

I did not check/compare the concentrations and how fast each type of sunscreen is washed off, that might allow a better comparison.

johne3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to bring this topic back, but I have two opportunities this year to snorkel and I want to minimize my impact on Reef Decline.

What is your preferred product, as the safest form of sunscreen for us to be in the reef environment?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to bring this topic back, but I have two opportunities this year to snorkel and I want to minimize my impact on Reef Decline.

What is your preferred product, as the safest form of sunscreen for us to be in the reef environment?

When i go, i dont use anything but time. Safest way possible. You might get a burn, but it goes away.

johne3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that, but will be in a very sunny climate and can't avoid sun protection. I looked into it initially and was very shocked by some of the offerings that claim to be reef safe.

On Amazon I see the brand called Reef Safe contains oxybenzone.

johne3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If these types of chemicals are so effective(62ppt) at killing & diminishing growth in the coral Eco system I think we should try as hobbyists to stop buying em'

I want my children's children to enjoy them too. Hope Finding Dory can inspire some change

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting so it does more than melt paint on cars and turn the vinyl in my boat purple. The sprays are the worst and no one gets on my boat if they have it in their possession.

dochow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wear a UV shirt! Also zinc oxide or titanium dioxide which is in all baby safe sunscreens do not have oxybenzone.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had aways worn a full body skinsuit when out in the ocean. Provides you some skin protection in the water from accidentally brushing up on something and out of the water from the sun. A brimmed hat is good to wear as well. My

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back