Oxydator catalysts, how do you know when they need replacing.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A common question I am often asked is how long do the Oxydator catalysts last.

That's a bit like how long is a piece of string.
The manufacturers only say they should last a very long time. There could be factors that influence the longevity of catalysts most probably the strength of peroxide used but thats a guess.

The only real way to tell is with any noticable drop off in peroxide usage long before a catalyst comes to the end of its life you will have gauged how much peroxide a week etc your peroxide lasts. Use that period as you yardstick for catalyst requiring replacement. However, you should get years out of a catalysts life.

If you have replaced your catalysts then please share on this thread why and how long you got out of it/them before they required replacement.
images.jpeg

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question and I’ve often wondered when was the right time to replace the catalyst in the Oxydator.

I’ve been ruining an Oxydator for about eight months now. The One factor that tells me they are still working is that I have to refill the hydrogen peroxide every 2 weeks. But that’s my only gauge of the catalyst’s effectiveness.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question and I’ve often wondered when was the right time to replace the catalyst in the Oxydator.

I’ve been ruining an Oxydator for about eight months now. The One factor that tells me they are still working is that I have to refill the hydrogen peroxide every 2 weeks. But that’s my only gauge of the catalyst’s effectiveness.
As far as I know that's the only realistic gauge open to us. Afterall it's a simple reliable one at that. Catalysts don't have a use by date ;>)

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know that's the only realistic gauge open to us. Afterall it's a simple reliable one at that. Catalysts don't have a use by date ;>)
@atoll - I’m sorry I haven’t said this sooner but Thank You for all your posts about the Oxydator!

Your posts got me intrigued about Oxydators and the more I read your many posts about them, the more convinced that my aquarium should have one. Can’t believe the difference they made in the fish, coral, and aquarium health and the simplicity of running one.

So please accept my formal Big Thank You!

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@atoll - I’m sorry I haven’t said this sooner but Thank You for all your posts about the Oxydator!

Your posts got me intrigued about Oxydators and the more I read your many posts about them, the more convinced that my aquarium should have one. Can’t believe the difference they made in the fish, coral, and aquarium health and the simplicity of running one.

So please accept my formal Big Thank You!
Thank you for your tank you and kind comments, much appreciated and glad to help a fellow Reefer.
If you haven't already why not join the Oxydator user group on Facebook? We are a growing group of Oxydator users and believers in this amazing similar device. Everybody on there is helpful and cordial. Always happy to welcome new members. :>)

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your tank you and kind comments, much appreciated and glad to help a fellow Reefer.
If you haven't already why not join the Oxydator user group on Facebook? We are a growing group of Oxydator users and believers in this amazing similar device. Everybody on there is helpful and cordial. Always happy to welcome new members. :>)
I’m not on Facebook so I really appreciate your detailed Oxydator discussions here on R2R!

One thing that impresses me about Reefers is their above and beyond help to other Reefers. I hope the R2R moderators are reading this thread and recognize you as one of those special Reefers that makes R2R a great site!

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not on Facebook so I really appreciate your detailed Oxydator discussions here on R2R!

One thing that impresses me about Reefers is their above and beyond help to other Reefers. I hope the R2R moderators are reading this thread and recognize you as one of those special Reefers that makes R2R a great site!
Am not sure am so special lol.
I just reply or add when I am able. I have been open in the past to criticism that's fine if it's constructive.
I have just posted a quick comment on a thread on here about an peroxide experiment not sure how well that will he recieved esp as I don't have an ology or great scientific background or understanding.
I tend to post from my experiences over 40 years reefing and over 30 years using Oxydators in many reef tanks sometimes that not enough for some people but that's fine.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to rate post installation assessments of oxydators among ten thousand installations reviewed online freshwater to marine in every combo including planted tanks fw and marine it’s ~97% made a positive difference, 3% made no difference and 0% harm to any creature or animal we keep. They have a zero pct loss rate I can tie into review patterns

no I change that to 99% made a difference 1% didnt and zero harm.

raw peroxide into tank isn’t as good, it’s cheaper and more accessible

I call post dose evals at 75% helped/ attained the desired outcome against target X, 23% didn’t help with condition X but no harms, and then about 2% say something died after dosing the common amount of one mil of 3% per ten gallons. That’s my take on it all.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing you never read or hear from is that of well know reefing gurus talking about Oxydators, at least I haven't in all my years on forums etc about reefkeeping. That is apart from Albert Thiel RIP that I wrote a section for in his book Nano Reef Aquariums There's been nothing from the likes of BRS either.

Would be interesting to see some laboratory type testing was carried out on a number of similar tanks with Oxydators installed. I have often been asked for definitive scientific claims and if course all my years using them along with my observations are not enough for some.

Thats fine am familiar with snake oil in this hobby. Am a simple hobiest with little scientific instruments etc to use and report on. Most hobiest trying something new do so with trial and error. That's what myself and a friend did when we stumbled across Oxydators in an LFS that sold discus at the time.

Nobody that I am aware of had ever tried them in a marine tank. During our testing we pushed the limits in fact went beyond the limits of some of our animals, notably a anemones before arriving at our peroxide concentration rate and number of catalysts.

No interweb thing back then just reef clubs the odd magazine and one UK dedicated marine magazine that was produced every other month. Ho! How the internet has changed all that but not the Oxydator, they haven't changed in anyway in all those years.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back