Oxygen content - surface agitation in the main display required if running sump and skimmer?

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have an oxygen test or meter, so I am hoping someone a little more high-tech can answer: can I keep a fairly calm display tank in terms of surface tension, if I have water trickling into a sump and am running a skimmer?

Reason I ask is that my lagoon is best appreciated top down, but when I angle my returns and wave-makers to "slosh" the surface, it then means I need to shut off pumps or use a viewing square to look down on the coral.

This is a fishless system, if that matters at all.

My guess is that for a definitive answer, specific to my tank, I would need to measure ORP with different flow patterns. I am looking more for general advice as I don't have that type of testing equipment.

Last edited:

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank open, I mean, can dust collect on the surface?
I have open top tanks, and even though I have a skimmer, I agitate the water surface. If not, I get a layer of dust build up that I know interferes with the lighting.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have an oxygen test or meter, so I am hoping someone a little more high-tech can answer: can I keep a fairly calm display tank in terms of surface tension, if I have water trickling into a sump and am running a skimmer?

Reason I ask is that my lagoon is best appreciated top down, but when I angle my returns and wave-makers to "slosh" the surface, it then means I need to shut off pumps or use a viewing square to look down on the coral.

I suggest that you buy a Hanna oxygen test and determine the best way to oxygenate your system. Opinions are good starting points for your experimentation.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank surface smooth enough to look straight down on doesn't sound like it gets enough aeration for me. But the amount of turnover with the tank water through the skimmer could easily make up for that.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank surface smooth enough to look straight down on doesn't sound like it gets enough aeration for me. But the amount of turnover with the tank water through the skimmer could easily make up for that.
And if we had the op’s oxygen reading with and without the skimmer, we could better appreciate just how much a skimmer aerates the water.

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if we had the op’s oxygen reading with and without the skimmer, we could better appreciate just how much a skimmer aerates the water.
Who wants to pay for OP's hanna checker :D I have a budget to consider! Or at least my wife thinks I do...

Marvel Studios Smile GIF by Disney+

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My guess is that for a definitive answer, specific to my tank, I would need to measure ORP with different flow patterns. I am looking more for general advice as I don't have that type of testing equipment.

i don't believe ORP is useful to gauge O2 levels.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 95 81.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back