Oxygen levels with DT and sump covered

regionreef219

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I currently have a lid on my display tank (30 gallon) and my sump has no lid (10 gallon). If I add a lid to the sump would the protein skimmer provide enough oxygen to keep everything happy?

The lid on my DT is glass and has no openings. The sump lid would have cutouts for the protein skimmer and return/drain lines. The protein skimmer i have is a Coralife 65 so I think it is slightly oversized for my system.

I am not concerned with heat build up, just want to make sure I am getting enough oxygen in the water. The openings in the sump lid would still allow airflow in the sump area but if I close off 85% of the area, I do think less water would evaporate (which is the goal).

Thanks,

Tod

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To better understand what is occurring it is helpful to ponder this question.

If you are locked in an airtight room how will you die?

Hint:
Gases.png

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 150s, I have glass lids. I would also add more lid ‘covering’ around the skimmer and other areas if it were practical— not an air-tight seal, by any means, but more like what you are talking about. However, the other comments about oxygenation are well taken, and so I have tried to compensate by having both my return spigots breaking the surface water, and I also have my battery back up wave maker breaking the surface. Of course, the skimmer is going 24/7. So it is working for me. I get a lot of of evaporation even with the lids, and could hardly imagine how much more they would be without it. Best wishes in whatever you choose to do! :)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back