Oyster hitch-hikers?

9Trees29gal

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 2, 2020
Messages
73
Reaction score
164
Location
Walla Walla
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, just wanted to share some hitch hikers I haven't seen mentioned often. I started my sump with cured live rock rubble from KP aquatics. It didn't have anything growing on the surface but a little coralline when it arrived. Now, 4 months later, all kinds of fun macro algae and micro-fauna have grown, including at least 6 (and probably more that I can't see) of these little bivalves. They have been growing rapidly (doubled size in about 5 weeks). Judging from appearance, I believe they are oysters unless someone with more knowledge wants to chime in! The white projections are part of the shell similar to a spiny oyster. I also believe they are beneficial filter feeders, so they are welcome to stay :-). (And yes, I am aware of the bubble algae, it's not stressing me out either.)
1000002317.jpg
 
Hi, just wanted to share some hitch hikers I haven't seen mentioned often. I started my sump with cured live rock rubble from KP aquatics. It didn't have anything growing on the surface but a little coralline when it arrived. Now, 4 months later, all kinds of fun macro algae and micro-fauna have grown, including at least 6 (and probably more that I can't see) of these little bivalves. They have been growing rapidly (doubled size in about 5 weeks). Judging from appearance, I believe they are oysters unless someone with more knowledge wants to chime in! The white projections are part of the shell similar to a spiny oyster. I also believe they are beneficial filter feeders, so they are welcome to stay :-). (And yes, I am aware of the bubble algae, it's not stressing me out either.)
1000002317.jpg
Awesome hitch hiker, cooler than anything you can buy in a store.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new