Ozone detector/alarm?

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed that the output tube on my ozone generator had broken off, so it was pumping ozone into the air in my fish room for I don't know how long. The problem is that I have an extremely poor sense of smell, so I can't smell it. I want to make sure I know if something like this happens again. Has anyone tried, or know of, an ozone detector I could set up that would give me an audible alarm if ozone is detected? Like a carbon monoxide detector. I found a few on Amazon, but they don't have great reviews. I don't need it to be super accurate, as long as it will alarm if there's ozone present in the air.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed that the output tube on my ozone generator had broken off, so it was pumping ozone into the air in my fish room for I don't know how long. The problem is that I have an extremely poor sense of smell, so I can't smell it. I want to make sure I know if something like this happens again. Has anyone tried, or know of, an ozone detector I could set up that would give me an audible alarm if ozone is detected? Like a carbon monoxide detector. I found a few on Amazon, but they don't have great reviews. I don't need it to be super accurate, as long as it will alarm if there's ozone present in the air.
Good question. My ozone system at a public aquarium has a detector, but they are really pricey at commercial sizes.

What size is your generator?

Jay

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's this one. 200mg/hr.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's this one. 200mg/hr.

I have two of those units to augment our main system. I had one of the hoses fall off and we didn't even notice it until the next time we changed the desiccant, however 200mg/hour in a small room could be an issue, but for me, I just use the "nose test" (I understand that won't work for you).

Hopefully somebody else here can give you some advice for a home sized alarm.....

Jay

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's this one. 200mg/hr.

If you monitor orp, or run a controller, you will know if it not working.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you monitor orp, or run a controller, you will know if it not working.
I don't understand what you're saying, I do monitor ORP, and do have a controller. I want to detect if ozone is escaping into the ambient air in the room. Monitoring ORP won't help with that.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand what you're saying, I do monitor ORP, and do have a controller. I want to detect if ozone is escaping into the ambient air in the room. Monitoring ORP won't help with that.
Would a drop in ORP not indicate it’s going anywhere but the tank? This issue you are having what gives me pause implementing it on my upcoming main build.

I know $500 for commercial unit is pricy but the consequences of not having it might be more costly. As if ozone wasn’t already pricy. I get it.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I meant was you should notice that the orp reading had dropped, from the busted tube, as nothing is going into the system.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ozone doesn't seem to affect the ORP in my system, for some reason.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps the probe not registering. Calibration might be needed or probe defective. Theoretically speaking.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it's right. I just replaced the probe, and verified its accuracy with calibration solution. Plus, I have another Milwaukee orp probe, and that agrees.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can sense ozone in the air. It's hard to explain but if you had a leak you would be able to tell. I've killed plants with it before and I've injured myself with it before I knew the risks. It damages the Villi in your lungs and can kill you however the generators for aquariums are quite small. Luckily your villi repair themselves.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can sense ozone in the air. It's hard to explain but if you had a leak you would be able to tell. I've killed plants with it before and I've injured myself with it before I knew the risks. It damages the Villi in your lungs and can kill you however the generators for aquariums are quite small. Luckily your villi repair themselves.
I've considered what could be a canary in the coal mine. You bring up one strategy. Perhaps place a plant that can tolerate high amounts of light and salt spray. Mangrove shoots in the overflow box :thinking-face:

Would never suggest an actual canary. Last I need is PETA or their version of the Tang Police on my behind

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The best I can explain the sensation is imagine walking through the jungle after a 2 day rain. You sort of feel the humidity on your skin and the wetness when you breathe. Even with a bad sense of smell, I'd imagine you would still get able to smell it. While its a scent, its more than a scent. I recommend just turning it on without the output hooked up to release it into the room for a minute A little bit isn't going anything. I'm not even sure if these aquarium grade ones are powerful enough to generate what I describe. I'm curious about getting one which is why I'm in your thread.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back