Ozone - external air pump required?

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask people's thoughts on running an external air pump for an Ozone generator. I currently have an Aquamedic 90 setup with air dryer into the inlet on a dedicated skimmer, run for past six months with no issue.

Would performance be enhanced with a small air pump or is the skimmers pull enough. Orp tends to hover around 320 and I'd like to get it a little higher if possible.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask people's thoughts on running an external air pump for an Ozone generator. I currently have an Aquamedic 90 setup with air dryer into the inlet on a dedicated skimmer, run for past six months with no issue.

Would performance be enhanced with a small air pump or is the skimmers pull enough. Orp tends to hover around 320 and I'd like to get it a little higher if possible.
If what you do works well for you, then I wouldn't bother! :) I am running the same generator as you, and Aquamedic suggest is being set up with an airpump- so that's what I did. I have never run it without so I have nothing to compare it with..

OP
OP
sawrip

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If what you do works well for you, then I wouldn't bother! :) I am running the same generator as you, and Aquamedic suggest is being set up with an airpump- so that's what I did. I have never run it without so I have nothing to compare it with..
Thanks for the reply.

I'm going to trial it with an adjustable air pump I think and see how it goes, can monitor before and after on Apex it will be interesting to see.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply.

I'm going to trial it with an adjustable air pump I think and see how it goes, can monitor before and after on Apex it will be interesting to see.
Let me know how you get on! :) If there's no difference, I might just give it a spin without mine when I am back home..

Are you running it through he "ozone booster" as well? (the dryer unit)

OP
OP
sawrip

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know how you get on! :) If there's no difference, I might just give it a spin without mine when I am back home..

Are you running it through he "ozone booster" as well? (the dryer unit)
Yep, makes me think it's a little too much for the skimmer pump alone to pull through everything. Will let you know

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reference btw, my ORP is sitting around 350 in a tank with a filter roller, a refugium and a fairly large skimmer (and sand with lots of flow).

OP
OP
sawrip

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reference btw, my ORP is sitting around 350 in a tank with a filter roller, a refugium and a fairly large skimmer (and sand with lots of flow).
Cheers, that setup is almost identical to my own, only difference is a 2nd skimmer purely for ozone use. My ORP never goes above 340 so will be interesting to see the difference

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers, that setup is almost identical to my own, only difference is a 2nd skimmer purely for ozone use. My ORP never goes above 340 so will be interesting to see the difference
I use a CO2 scrupper powered by an air pump for PH control and my main skimmer (Octo Regal 150-S) for the Ozone.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 195 71.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back