Ozone Skimmer and Apex?

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m considering adding ozone to my tank via the air intake on my skimmer. I have a RO Elite skimmer that shuts off via a float valve when the cup is full. I also have an apex with an orp probe. I’m a bit unsure how to make this work. I plan on running the ozone at night only. My concern is that if forget to empty cup and the skimmer float shuts off the pump, the Ozone reactor will turn on and spread gas into the room instead of the tank. Is there a way to shut down the ozone whenever my skimmer pump shuts off via the integrated skimmer controller and not via the power bar control?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no way (unfortunately) to have the Apex trigger the ozone off based on the skimmer shutting off. The only thing you can do is program the outlet for the ozone to turn off at specific time(s) or if ORP hits a certain level.

You could also look at a Stink Sink for your skimmer to absorb any stray ozone (that's what I have on mine).

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have power monitoring on the skimmer pump outlet the skimmer pump power draw should drop when the skimmer pump turns off from the float. You should be able to use a code that looks like what is below.

If Power (Skimmer Outlet) < (low wattage) Then Off

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most ozone generators should stop producing ozone if they don't have enough air draw. I know Ozotech works this way

OP
OP
A

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have power monitoring on the skimmer pump outlet the skimmer pump power draw should drop when the skimmer pump turns off from the float. You should be able to use a code that looks like what is below.

If Power (Skimmer Outlet) < (low wattage) Then Off
Oh this is a good idea. Thank you

Ali-F

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m considering adding ozone to my tank via the air intake on my skimmer. I have a RO Elite skimmer that shuts off via a float valve when the cup is full. I also have an apex with an orp probe. I’m a bit unsure how to make this work. I plan on running the ozone at night only. My concern is that if forget to empty cup and the skimmer float shuts off the pump, the Ozone reactor will turn on and spread gas into the room instead of the tank. Is there a way to shut down the ozone whenever my skimmer pump shuts off via the integrated skimmer controller and not via the power bar control?
you can look into this from a different perspective. like is there any way to make me NOT to forget to empty to skimmer cup?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 108 81.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back