Pacific Gas & Electric power outage in Northern CA affecting your reef tank?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, looks like we are under mandatory evacuations here in Windsor. Generator does no good if you have to leave. Hope my fish and coral survive. It could be 2 days. :eek: ;Dead Starting over sucks since my 11 fish and 6 corals (Final got a Disney to grow dangit!) are doing so well, luckily its a 200 gal tank so I might get lucky. ;Inpain

Best wishes. I got a nat gas generator that turns on whenever the power goes off - but you're post got me thinking - if there was more 'damage' like a fire -that generator wouldn't go on. Its all a bad situation

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel badly for everyone affected by this. it must be incredibly stressful

Yeah, that’s it really is the stress. I’m as prepared as I can be: power cords, generator, etc. I should be able to power 1 fridge, the fish tank, our internet hub, maybe a couple laptops and charging phones, etc. But fish tank + power outage equals a lot of undo stress.

I’m just thankful we’re not in a fire evacuation area like other folks. Those are the ones I really feel for!

jhatfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add the PG&E outages to a long list of things making California a challenging place to do this already challenging hobby. Fires, quakes, floods, two hours from any LFS... Fortunately (or unfortunately) I’m addicted. Gas generator is on my reefing wishlist now.

If it’s not the fires it’s the quakes. During the Ridgcrest quake this summer, instead if diving under the nearest table, I watched my tank closely to see if water would slosh out... which it didn’t. Sweet! Nothing takes your mind off the rocking and rolling than fear of losing water from my tank.

Dave Cureton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Power went off at 5pm. It sounds like the earliest it will come back on is Monday afternoon. This is the 3rd outage this month. The previous 5 years we have been it here it was off twice and that was for less than 4 hours. One time was for a pole replacement. If there are no winds here again this time people might start to revolt.

Of course this is mostly an inconvenience for us. My heart goes out to those that are evacuated and/or lost their homes.

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My power is set to go off soon. I have a generator and extension cords ready. I also have a battery air pump for night. Even though it’s a Quiet Honda generator, I still feel bad running it at night with next door neighbors. I also have two Ecotech batteries and an MP40 on the way in case I am not home for future outages. These power outages are costing me a lot of money.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Of course this is mostly an inconvenience for us.

This is not at all a criticism - but more of a holy cow. An inconvenience is having the power out for 20 minutes - a weekend - routinely - possibly - would drive me crazy - Granted - others have it 'worse' - im curious - how do those people in downtown areas - like 'businesses' deal with these outages - or - 1 - are they not affected - or 2 - do they have backup generators? I feel your pain!!!!= inconvenience

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ve been down since about 8:30pm last night. Generator is working so the fridge and fish tank are ok. I wish I could say I slept like a baby, but I don’t think I slept at all...

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what utility company in Ca is more inept...

I think most people think their utility is inept. I always, and mostly, think that way of my local provider. Though they did undertake a significant effort to harden the infrastructure so maybe folks like them a bit more now. Sorry for all the WC troubles.

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sitting here in Hayward over the last 20 mins there were some really good winds blowing threw. Power for us should be ok

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We have been without power since 11:30 pm last night. Thank God for the generator. Good luck to all of us affected by this outage.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im.right outside the shut off. I've changed my mine I'm investing in the eu7000is to hopefully get fridge tank and my led lights. To play it safe. I figure in the long run it's expensive. Def cheaper ones. But they hold value for resale and I'll just take it with me when I move out of state after retirement.

Those of you need any help. Feel free to ask. Those of us out of the zone may be able to assist and help a hand. We have some stuff to offer for help until this passes over.

Side note. Hope for the best. But our houses are gonna burn. They will burn. Insurance. What I'm upset about is the lurkers using this emergency to capitalize and victimize the fire victims. If you have the room or anyway to take investments with you do it. Gold, silver etc. We work overtime. Agencies from all over will assist to help protect what's left behind.

Stay safe.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been monitoring this thread, reading all the problems you Californians are going thru in the past few months and my heart goes out to you all, I hope everyone makes it thru this with no issues. First and foremost I hope all of you are safe and have no loses, secondary I hope your tanks make it thru this. You know I had to include the tanks at some point, LOL!!!

Seriously, stay safe my friends!!!

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are in the mandatory evacuation here in Santa Rosa. Luckily our power is still on. Hope everyone who is evacuated is safe
Be safe. The smoke smell is getting bad in Hayward. I know its a 1000 times worse just an hour north of us

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The power came back on for us around 12:30pm today so 40 hours without power. It could be much worse. Most of the folks in the outage are still without power and a new PSPS is expected for tomorrow into Wednesday...

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We got power back around 1:00pm, so about 40 hrs or so. Honda generator came through like a champ.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 99 79.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.8%
Back