Its severe winter weather time again. What is your Outage plan?

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What’s the total cost on one of these installed? Before I go get some quotes.

Depends on tons of variables. $2,000-$10,000+ just for the generator. Then the install. I’d personally do it myself but most electricians will charge $150/hr plus material. That install is 5-8 hours for the average home. So for an average home probably $7,000ish all in. The $2,000 option would only cover limited circuits.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a DIY UPS that will take care of flow for the MP40s and MP10 — automated and can run for days. Additionally, I have a Honda 2000i generator and it saved me twice so far. This is used to heat the tank, granted I’m in SoCal so not that cold. However, it can get down to 40F and inside the house, likely 68F — still too cold for corals. I can’t wait until I get a CyberTruck — it has enough juice to run our whole house and completely silent.

Mysoftynanoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living in a state(Va) that can get either uce or snow..we have 2 generators(we also have reptiles) to use..in addition to those,I wrap a mylar emergency blanket around the tank and also have a battery air pump..we may get to test that plan in February, as they're saying that's when the bulk of our snow will be coming..

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have plenty of wine, red, white and rose. I also have plenty of food like linguine and clams. Meatballs and Pizza.

My fish can take care of themselves like they have after many storms and hurricanes over the last 50 years.
I keep some firefish and flame angels in there for heat. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Right now it is pouring outside like a monsoon (yes, I know what a monsoon feels like)

The rain is pounding against my front door and I just seen an Ark go sailing by, I could swear I saw an elephant and a hairy guy inside. :oops:

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on tons of variables. $2,000-$10,000+ just for the generator. Then the install. I’d personally do it myself but most electricians will charge $150/hr plus material. That install is 5-8 hours for the average home. So for an average home probably $7,000ish all in. The $2,000 option would only cover limited circuits.
I was exploring this for future plans but thought spending 4 times that might be better for solar and off grid.

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I was exploring this for future plans but thought spending 4 times that might be better for solar and off grid.

If solar is viable where you are then it would be a good investment if you’ll be there long enough for it to pay off. Solar isn’t viable here due to weather. Looked into it.

genetao

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done a DIY solar install with back-up battery connected to the house.

But if you only want a back-up solution and don’t care about solar, you can just purchase the inverter and a battery and a cheapo power strip and connect your essentials (fridge, tanks, etc) to the battery.
It’s dead simple to do and you’d be up and running in about an hour. Then expand in the future by adding more batteries.

In this pic you can see an inverter (they yellow box), the transfer switch that provides power to 6 circuits that I’ve deemed critical for the house, and two batteries giving me 10 kilowatts of power.

Attachments

• A2F3F1C5-E196-4720-B073-632188791E65.jpeg
    A2F3F1C5-E196-4720-B073-632188791E65.jpeg
    217.5 KB · Views: 11

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You can barely get coffee here for $150.00 :grimacing-face:

I mean I get that. I live in one of the fastest growing and most expensive places in Montana. I'm likely off for hourly rate now. But if you know someone they tend to give you the local deal. Been here most my life. So I know everyone.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience with ATP uninterruptible power supplies? I have a few that would not program from work, but should work for short outages. I was thinking that it should work for a few hours. If longer I have a back up generator and few 5 gallon gas cans full.
Funny you should mention this. Our power went out for 6 hours last Friday. After Hr #2, I had not idea how long it would be out. Normally our power outages are <1 hr. I have one Coralbox battery to drive 1 ReefPower RP-1 power head in my frag tank. That lasted about 3 hours - I think the batter needs to be replaced. I bought a Tunze Safety Connecter from BRS years ago (https://www.tunze.com/US/en/details/6105.500-safety-connector.html) and connected it to a 12v AGM battery and that drive a Jebao QPS-16 the entire 6 hrs. The RP-1 and QPS are 24v pumps but will run at 1/2 speed on 12v. I have some Hyggers and they will not run unless 16-28v. If I have to, I'd consider hooking up two 12v AGM batteries in series.

I have two separate 12v Battery Tenders that keep my batteries charged. This kept my water movement going but when power came on, the temperature had dropped to 72F. No losses. I have a ventless fireplace that I was about to turn on if the power had not come on. Also, I had considered taking pots of water up to the gas stove to heat up and then slowly transfer into the water stream of the power heads. I figured a few trips over time would raise the tank temp slowly.

A whole house generator is the way to go. Saves the fridge too -- and the sump pump for the basement.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The power has never gone out for any length of time where I live. I have some battery operated air pumps and a wood stove if it does. This is how it looks around here right now.
PXL_20240117_202352130.jpg

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ran across this:

Mr Heater Buddie portable heater that's indoor safe and will at least keep house warmer

1705625744995.png

• It puts out a lot of heat using efficient radiant ceramic tiles
  • Has a low 4000 BTU and a high 9000 BTU setting
  • Runs 5.4 hours on a 1-lb single-use propane bottle or 108 hours on a 20-lb propane tank (additional hose and filter sold separately for the latter)
  • No electricity required
  • Small and lightweight
  • Heats up to 225 square feet
  • Easy to use right out of the box
  • 3-year warranty

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As many states are facing winter weather warnings and watches, its time to again revisit an action plan or perhaps incorporate one in place.
We are expecting up to 14" of snow today with 45mph winds with potential for outages.
I have a Generator and just filled two 5 gal cans of gas on standby, I also have heat packs to tape to tank glass if needed and fireplace for added room heat and 3 battery operated air pumps.

How many have a plan or never thought of one?
What is your emergency plan and what can you share with others to best prepare for sudden weather?
Have a generator, but seriously think about a whole home generator.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back