Summer is approaching and It's vacation time. What are your fears?

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Im going abroad for 3 consecutive weeks this summer. My biggest worry is probably heat. We don’t have ac and the indoor ambient can reach 29-30 celcius.

i might have someone with minimal experience check in maybe once a week…
A fan on tank is better than no circulation at all. Keeping blinds and curtains closed should reduce interior temps a couple of degrees

OscarHaglund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fan on tank is better than no circulation at all. Keeping blinds and curtains closed should reduce interior temps a couple of degrees
Yea i have a 200mm fan on my hood thats always running and then an additional set of fans that are aimed at the water that kick on if the temp goes to high. But I’m still a bit worried.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yea i have a 200mm fan on my hood thats always running and then an additional set of fans that are aimed at the water that kick on if the temp goes to high. But I’m still a bit worried.
Consider a camera such as Wyze where you can view your tank daily. If you see something out of the norm, would you have someone to call and walk them over the phone on things to do?

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's a vacation? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Kidding...I went away for four days, but my wife was home. I have two acro tanks (100g, 60g) and triple checked everything before I left. Last minute filter sock changes, protein skimmer cleaning, gyres, food automation, etc. Everything needed a bit of love when I returned!

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the one piece of equipment I don’t fully trust. Tunze 3155. Sometimes it just doesn’t turn on and i have to reboot it.
I have the ATO DIY sliding float and the new eye sensor. BOTH hooked up to Neptune. Seems to be working ok. Redundancy

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason I have a profound fear of leakage. Before upgrading to a 120G I had a 50G and one day I ended up with a siphon (I didn't have a valve to secure my air stone) and about 25G ended up on my floor. My tank is also slightly off (and with slighty I actually mean SLIGHTLY, we're talking about 2-3 mm?) and for some reason I am ******** my pants every time and making up scenarios in which my whole tank will be coming down.

secret_reefer337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We will be gone for 10 days this summer and I am afraid coming home to a overheated tank die to ambient temperature inside the house while we are gone. But next summer is my biggest fear, we will be gone for a month and we don’t have anybody to come to our house to check or refill my 50gal ATO reservoir.

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's more of a measuring device than a failsafe.
Well I have it in this manner.
IMG_4021.png

Mr.OK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish i was able to take vacation... but hard when working for your self and your the only person in the company.

LAX Noob Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
My tank is in garage. Since last year it heated to above 90 degree - 100 degree, and My house is old.......I'm worrying the power breaker would trip.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back