Summer is approaching and It's vacation time. What are your fears?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
As many of us travel, go camping and visit relatives, we find ourselves leaving our tanks behind.
What are your biggest concerns and fears when leaving and returning home?

I have someone who is very experienced to watch and feed my tanks daily. I fear a phone call with " I hate to tell you this", but have been lucky.

What is your fear ?

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Going to Europe end of June for 11 days. Tank is fully automated. I give my lfs owner a logon to my apex. He checks the tank every other day. But you never know what could happen…
Which is why I have a person. I love the mobility of Apex access but if something is suddenly off, who will have access to the tank to correct an issue?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As many of us travel, go camping and visit relatives, we find ourselves leaving our tanks behind.
What are your biggest concerns and fears when leaving and returning home?

I have someone who is very experienced to watch and feed my tanks daily. I fear a phone call with " I hate to tell you this", but have been lucky.

What is your fear ?
My biggest fears/ concerns since starting this new job. .
I no longer have 6+ weeks vacation
While everyone else is travelling to their cottages and enjoying water sports on the lakes ill be working .

NASAGeek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never leave mine more than five days. Nobody I really trust enough to handle it, so I leave a little extra food right before I leave, ensure the ato is full, clean the skimmer and pray they survive. They always do. Except for Royal gramma’s. I can keep anything alive except those little purple and gold expletives.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which is why I have a person. I love the mobility of Apex access but if something is suddenly off, who will have access to the tank to correct an issue?
I agree. What I didn’t make clear is the lfs visits the tank at my house every other day. Has apex logon to receive messages and make adjustments.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you-guys-are-getting-paid.png

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine is always the ATO going rogue or the controller losing connection to the tank! That’s why I love having multiple cameras on the tank and equipment.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is always the ATO going rogue or the controller losing connection to the tank! That’s why I love having multiple cameras on the tank and equipment.
That’s the one piece of equipment I don’t fully trust. Tunze 3155. Sometimes it just doesn’t turn on and i have to reboot it.

SpSDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I just returned from a 2 week trip in the Keys and the tank ran as it should. I never like keeping my RODI unit running while I am away but a trick is to put a wifi sprinkler timmer on your water line so you can remote cut the water pressure if needed.

Wyze Cameras are also my best friend when away. Watching the tank, skimmer cup, Sump, corals.

Only bummer I came home to was my OG Purple monster frag bleached out. Had it since the first of the year and was already growing so no clue what happened there.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never leave for more than 3 days so I don’t stress anything honestly… my only fear currently is where my Chicago sunburst nem ends up! Anywhere but a powerhead is good with me! Haha.. once it’s settled I don’t care and would leave..

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seam split while away on 2 week vacation would probably be worst case scenario.

I always have someone checking up on the tank but that could range from staying at the house so checking/feeding daily to just stopping by to feed/look every other day or so. ***either way, major tank failure would be out of scope for sitter to handle

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to be away from mine for 10 days soon. I’m dreading it. If it crashes and something goes wrong. I’m going to just upgrade to the 90g or IM112

I really hope nothing goes wrong. I wanted to ride this build out for at least 2 years.

I’m setting up the auto feeder and my ato will be refilled by my father when needed. hes coming to feed my wife’s sugar gliders daily

erin10885

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have 2 tanks, one at home and one in my office at work. The one at home we can monitor via Apex and my mom stays at our house with the dogs so thankfully she can feed them and if we absolutely had to we could have her do some simple things through video chat. My work tank is my fear, I have to have one of the girls feed the fish and turn my filter fleece (AIO manual). My fear is a nem getting into one of the fans and nuking the tank or something dying and no one noticing and knowing to take it out.

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm rarely away for longer than a long weekend, but we have a 10-day trip coming up this summer that I'm a little stressed about. Luckily my neighbor keeps both FW and SW tanks and has offered to pop by while we're out. Tanks are mostly automated and I'm not worried about much unless the ATO goes haywire or power goes out.

What's the going rate on "tank sitting" these days? Case of beer? $ per day? :D

erin10885

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm rarely away for longer than a long weekend, but we have a 10-day trip coming up this summer that I'm a little stressed about. Luckily my neighbor keeps both FW and SW tanks and has offered to pop by while we're out. Tanks are mostly automated and I'm not worried about much unless the ATO goes haywire or power goes out.

What's the going rate on "tank sitting" these days? Case of beer? $ per day? :D
Heck I'd do it for free if I could sit there and watch the tank lol, maybe the case of beer to relax while watching the tank lol

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back