Apartment dwellers- what is your power outage plan?

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on moving to a part of the country (gulf coast) where power outages from hurricanes are to be expected. I will be living in an apartment, which means a generator as a backup is out of the question. I'm curious what reefers in similar circumstances do, or what more experienced reefers would recommend. I'm planning on a tank upgrade once I finish my one (Cade 1500 peninsula, 210 gal in total volume), and it's incredibly important to me that I have a robust power outage plan in place. Thanks!

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubblers and batteries, lots of them. Then truck inverter and a long cord is the next step. I'm in a HOA inspired condo on the west coast. I do have a small generator that I would fire up if it gets rough (after 24-48 hours).

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubblers and batteries, lots of them. Then truck inverter and a long cord is the next step. I'm in a HOA inspired condo on the west coast. I do have a small generator that I would fire up if it gets rough (after 24-48 hours).
I'll be on the third floor of an apartment building so unfortunately a truck inverter is out of the question for me. What batteries are you using? If I have to just get a ton of batteries then I suppose so be it, but would def like to see if there are other options / get a sense of how long a battery could run the necessities, but maybe it's too early to calculate that if the tank hasn't even been set up yet

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imo first work out what you deem as essential equipment. Next step how long to you tend to run it. Then work out how many amps you will need for the duration of deemed outage. Maybe a load shedding option? As time goes on drop things offline till you down to a air stone and wave maker.. Battery backup for a day or so then a small genie as mentioned.. IMO stay away from ac equipment to backup if you can, I focus on the dc so no need for inverters

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, you have some amazing landlord to allow that size tank on the 3rd floor.
If the apartment building is a mid to high rise building, all the floors are likely concrete. I once lived in an apartment building where someone had two 125 aquatic turtle tanks in his fifth floor apartment within feet of each other. They were filled all the way. The floors there were all concrete.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the apartment building is a mid to high rise building, all the floors are likely concrete. I once lived in an apartment building where someone had two 125 aquatic turtle tanks in his fifth floor apartment within feet of each other. They were filled all the way. The floors there were all concrete.
This. I had a 150g in a second floor apartment (6 stories overall) and it was concrete so that wasnt the issue, just the landlord technically didnt allow it.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be on the third floor of an apartment building so unfortunately a truck inverter is out of the question for me. What batteries are you using? If I have to just get a ton of batteries then I suppose so be it, but would def like to see if there are other options / get a sense of how long a battery could run the necessities, but maybe it's too early to calculate that if the tank hasn't even been set up yet
I have a diy 24vdc battery bank thats 12ah rated to keep a return pump running or a powerhead on my 120g.

50g cube has a pair of mp40's so one of those is on a 12v 10ah diy backup through the ecotech controller.

I also have one of these in the 50g and two on the 120g, they are kinda the backup of last resort as they will auto kick in if power drops, so at least there are some hours for me to intervene if nothing else works.

We have the remanants of a tropical storm coming through this weekend, so I tested everything to make sure it works as unlike the rest of the world, So. Cal can't handle lots of rain and wind to save our lives.

Screenshot_20230818-074337.png

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, you have some amazing landlord to allow that size tank on the 3rd floor.
As @Fishy888 said, it's a pretty new building so floors are poured concrete. As far as I understand they can basically hold a room full of elephants lol. Several buildings were understandably not so keen, but surprisingly several were fine with it. Got written permission that tanks were approved and confirmed w management there is no gallon limit, so should be good to go!

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a diy 24vdc battery bank thats 12ah rated to keep a return pump running or a powerhead on my 120g.

50g cube has a pair of mp40's so one of those is on a 12v 10ah diy backup through the ecotech controller.

I also have one of these in the 50g and two on the 120g, they are kinda the backup of last resort as they will auto kick in if power drops, so at least there are some hours for me to intervene if nothing else works.

We have the remanants of a tropical storm coming through this weekend, so I tested everything to make sure it works as unlike the rest of the world, So. Cal can't handle lots of rain and wind to save our lives.

Screenshot_20230818-074337.png
I was thinking about getting the MP40 backup, how much life does it give you on your MP40, ballpark? Obviously it would depend on intensity but trying to see if that would do a job for the price involved. Currently have a bubbler that comes on automatically if the power goes out so I'd probably double up and have two of those ready too for good measure

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imo first work out what you deem as essential equipment. Next step how long to you tend to run it. Then work out how many amps you will need for the duration of deemed outage. Maybe a load shedding option? As time goes on drop things offline till you down to a air stone and wave maker.. Battery backup for a day or so then a small genie as mentioned.. IMO stay away from ac equipment to backup if you can, I focus on the dc so no need for inverters
In my mind, absolutely core equipment would be one / both MP40s for flow and oxygen exchange. I like to think I could get away without lights but I've never found myself in this situation. Maybe the heater too if there was another freak winter storm? Which I suppose means the return pump would be required.

Overall thinking maybe one MP40 on a higher setting, the return pump, and the heater. Does that sound about right?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on moving to a part of the country (gulf coast) where power outages from hurricanes are to be expected. I will be living in an apartment, which means a generator as a backup is out of the question. I'm curious what reefers in similar circumstances do, or what more experienced reefers would recommend. I'm planning on a tank upgrade once I finish my one (Cade 1500 peninsula, 210 gal in total volume), and it's incredibly important to me that I have a robust power outage plan in place. Thanks!
If you have a belcony i dont see why you coudnt have a small one

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my mind, absolutely core equipment would be one / both MP40s for flow and oxygen exchange. I like to think I could get away without lights but I've never found myself in this situation. Maybe the heater too if there was another freak winter storm? Which I suppose means the return pump would be required.

Overall thinking maybe one MP40 on a higher setting, the return pump, and the heater. Does that sound about right?
Move heater to display

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imo I would be aiming for the return pump and heater...this way if the power is out for an extended period all the water is the same temp. A DC airstone to run in front of the return and your set. As mentioned if you have a balcony a small genset would be my pick...I wouldnt even ask permission just forgiveness after if it comes to that. I may only be a once a year or so event.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Look into power stations, they operate off batteries and recharge very fast off your car or another power source. These can be right inside your apartement and make no noise.

Don't skimp and buy a UPS or some other dinky battery backup for some powerheads. People lose reef tanks when the power is out for multiple days or weeks.

You need something big enough to do the job right. It at least need to support to run heaters and also run a room heater like this as in the winter a tank heater can't keep up.
The 1500w heaters usually have a 900w and 600w setting or you can just get a 6-700w heater. There are also small heaters that blow hot air.

This will insure that your tank heater won't be running 24/7

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately no balcony as far as I'm aware, which has led me to have to look for other options. The power station is an interesting idea, I wasn't aware there was such a thing. @Big E , Is that the unit you use, and if so what do you have it supporting / how long does it tend to last for you? Sounds like that could be the best option for me so far

It also seems like that unit has solar panel capacity- does anyone use a mobile solar panel unit like that? I'm imagining a circumstance where a hurricane might cause me to have to park my care elsewhere to keep it safe from rising waters, so the prospect of having a solar panel to help keep the unit charged every day for as long as it's needed sounds like an awesome option if it's actually doable

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here is your best option imo for extended time off the grid...solar wont cut it as you would need to many panels to make it viable. A 200ah deep cycle battery, a really good battery charger and small 4 stoke generator. These things are super quite and you could put it on a table near a window and blow the exhaust outside with a fan. IMO this will be the cheapest most efficient long lasting option. Put some music on when charging the battery and no one will ever know

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately no balcony as far as I'm aware, which has led me to have to look for other options. The power station is an interesting idea, I wasn't aware there was such a thing. @Big E , Is that the unit you use, and if so what do you have it supporting / how long does it tend to last for you? Sounds like that could be the best option for me so far

It also seems like that unit has solar panel capacity- does anyone use a mobile solar panel unit like that? I'm imagining a circumstance where a hurricane might cause me to have to park my care elsewhere to keep it safe from rising waters, so the prospect of having a solar panel to help keep the unit charged every day for as long as it's needed sounds like an awesome option if it's actually doable

I have a regular gas generator. I have considered buying one of the power stations as well because it's so darn convenient.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be living in an apartment, which means a generator as a backup is out of the question.

Get a quiet Honda, propane converted, and make sure you have a patio. You can also build a sound reduction box.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back