Hot weather season- How is everyone coping?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
As we turn on the TV every day since the last two weeks, there has been an array of states with excessive heat and heat warnings and storms producing power outages.

How is everyone coping with the heat and their tank temperatures?
Have you taken or planned extra steps for tank protection?

State of Florida has a disaster going on in their waters with coral bleaching. A couple of groups and university planted frags and small colonies of coral in the waters to prorogate new coral species and in hopes it would promote new growth and they are now bleached. Its hard to believe we are once again enduring this heat wave and Hopes that everyone stay safe and cool

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
House AC and clip on fans but temps are only in the mid 80s here.

EDIT: I think I'm going to the dollar store and get some of those blue containers you posted about for storing as ice packs to have on hand for a power outage. If nothing else they'll help the freezer work less.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Typical mid-90's here in NC. My tank is chillin' with 1\4hp JBJ. I've run a chiller since the early 90's back in the metal halide days. Oh, I have two chillers in the garage as backups.

SimbaAnto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a FIRMAN Generator last week from costco which can power the entire house during outage . I don't want to have crash.

From Jacksonville FL.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the ac cranked! It’s a doosie today! Will reach 118° in some parts of the valley.
IMG_0763.png

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Typical mid-90's here in NC. My tank is chillin' with 1\4hp JBJ. I've run a chiller since the early 90's back in the metal halide days. Oh, I have two chillers in the garage as backups.
same here - teco Chiller unit and Home A/c and a generator as a backup in case of power loss . I have noticed my chiller kicking in more often - The heat from it not escaping as fast and my electrical bill increase of $41 tells me the use has increased

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
House AC only.
Not prepared for HEAT from long power outage (although not common around here),,, other than a couple of ice makers that are currently full,,, not sure how long that'd last though.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
House AC only.
Not prepared for HEAT from long power outage (although not common around here),,, other than a couple of ice makers that are currently full,,, not sure how long that'd last though.
Ice helps, just works slowly. You can buy a 30 pack of zip lock bags for under $5. Place them in the sump, and use a size that will fit fine and the idea is to rotate them. fill about 5 of them with water and place in freezer. Place one frozen one in sump, allow to melt and lower temp. When it melts, pull a new frozen one from freezer and place melted one back in freezer. In lieu of bags- water bottles work well also

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering how corals survive at 86. It's too hot
I've had full acro systems at this temp for weeks on end and they didn't seem to care. They kept growing normally too. Keep in mind, there's scientific documentation of acropora thriving until they pass 31c (87.8f) by a degree for a few days. I honestly don't understand why people freak out over their tank passing 80 degrees.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've had full acro systems at this temp for weeks on end and they didn't seem to care. They kept growing normally too. Keep in mind, there's scientific documentation of acropora thriving until they pass 31c (87.8f) by a degree for a few days. I honestly don't understand why people freak out over their tank passing 80 degrees.
This will be of mixed results. I had dome easy acro bleach at 83 degrees, and right now Florida water temps are at 87 and a large abundance of coral are bleached white

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...but the humidity is low. LMBO
Haha! It will be in the 30’s-40’s in a little bit as we’ve been having pop up thunderstorms every day.. it’s monsoon season and it sucks in a warehouse with a couple swampers to add to it

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be of mixed results. I had dome easy acro bleach at 83 degrees, and right now Florida water temps are at 87 and a large abundance of coral are bleached white
I don't know. I've literally never had issues with this. Maybe it's because my tanks aren't the ocean.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 14.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 45 45.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back