Paint for stands.

KSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys i am building a stand for a fish room and was curious what paint you guys use to hold up to water and humidity. Ive seen some people paint the inside of the stands where sumps are with paint that does well with getting wet/exposed to condensation.

a6walter1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I built my last stand, I painted the inside of the stand with a semi-gloss oil-based white paint. Makes things very bright under there (which is good for working). The oil-base makes it naturally water repellent and the semi-gloss makes it easy to wipe down and keep clean.

The oil-paint takes a bit longer to dry, but if you give it a few days of solid curing, you will be very pleased with the results. You can use a roller/brush or spray it for a more even finish.

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I built my last stand, I painted the inside of the stand with a semi-gloss oil-based white paint. Makes things very bright under there (which is good for working). The oil-base makes it naturally water repellent and the semi-gloss makes it easy to wipe down and keep clean.

The oil-paint takes a bit longer to dry, but if you give it a few days of solid curing, you will be very pleased with the results. You can use a roller/brush or spray it for a more even finish.

I did this exactly too, but based on where I have the stand I had to do the painting outside and, from experience, let it cure a little longer than usual. It might have been the nice 107 in Phoenix that kept it a little tacky but after 3 days I put it inside and set a few empty boxes on it, and they pulled up some specks here and there. I used white on the inside as well to help reflect the light to help see and if I ever add a fuge/sump.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Rustoleum semi-gloss black for my stand. It sprays on pretty well, it's fairly easy to get a smooth shiny finish (when applied correctly), and it even shows the wood grain a bit. It seems to be holding up to saltwater pretty well. I've left pools on the painted surface for several hours and notice no damage to the paint.

IMG_20170608_122256.jpg

IMG_20170312_182129.jpg

IMG_20170316_154135.jpg

I liked the finish so much that I even made a basic coffee table out of some leftover 3/4" ply and a few 4x4s:

IMG_20161210_143155.jpg

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a quart of Behr Black Exterior High Gloss from HD which I sprayed on with a paint gun. After that dried for a few days I then applied a Clear Coat finish called ProAcrylic by hand which is water repellant and very durable. The stand came out very shiny and bright. Make sure before you start do all your prep work sanding, fill in cracks with caulk etc.

CPL376

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Deft for almost everything. I personally hate paint on wood so much that when someone asks me to build something and say they want it painted I won't build it.

furyofthegnomes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with Kilz primer for the interior (a nice light grey color). For the exterior, after having to scrap the first one because the poly from General Finishes turned cloudy after three coats of stain (like Heulittsalmi said take your time and make sure everything is dry), I just got a nice sheet of walnut plywood and put an oil based polyurethane from Zar on it. Couldn't be happier and its held up pperfectly for over a year now.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my stand inside I used Rustoleum appliance 1-part epoxy paint. Its a gloss white that cures to a durable, easy to wipe clean finish. It's some stinky stuff when applying, needs to be well ventilated or outside.

upload_2017-6-9_8-19-16.png

upload_2017-6-9_8-19-29.png

upload_2017-6-9_8-19-38.png
Good choice of paints.

A oil based exterior paint works well. Check the cure time also. For example latex takes three weeks to cure on hard surfaces depending on the drying conditions. The epoxy paint kick and can be ready to go in a day.

pfoxgrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Deft for almost everything. I personally hate paint on wood so much that when someone asks me to build something and say they want it painted I won't build it.

What is it that you hate about paint on wood? Is it the look, the application, or the durability?

Orangezuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the Oil Base paint or Kilz with some good "cure time".
I check in with the paint stores for "mis tints" for some deals. Just picked up some close out garage floor paint at walmart for 7$ to give a try

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I used Kilz primer and then a good exterior latex on my stand I built 11 years ago.
Has held up very well.
I did use some pvc sheet material on the stand bottom.

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Rustoleum semi-gloss black for my stand. It sprays on pretty well, it's fairly easy to get a smooth shiny finish (when applied correctly), and it even shows the wood grain a bit. It seems to be holding up to saltwater pretty well. I've left pools on the painted surface for several hours and notice no damage to the paint.

IMG_20170608_122256.jpg

IMG_20170312_182129.jpg

IMG_20170316_154135.jpg

I liked the finish so much that I even made a basic coffee table out of some leftover 3/4" ply and a few 4x4s:

IMG_20161210_143155.jpg

I used the same brands white paint the other day for inside my sump and man oh man was it bad, now I am starting to think I got a bad batch, or just the white is awful. I had to go over it with another brand.

jvswan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last stand I built had two parts to the interior paint. I used Kilz primer, two coats I think, and topped it with white appliance paint. I then sealed the edges with latex caulk, like a bathtub. The Kilz is good for sealing the top layer of the wood and the epoxy appliance paint was good for keeping water out. Lasted for years without a problem.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the same brands white paint the other day for inside my sump and man oh man was it bad, now I am starting to think I got a bad batch, or just the white is awful. I had to go over it with another brand.

Did you actually paint the inside of your sump, like the glass? I'm not sure how well this would stick to glass. I painted wood and got pretty good results. I also sanded, used a few coats of primer, did a fine-grit sand, then did a few coats of the semi-gloss black. I'm not sure what you would need to do to get a good finish on a glass surface.

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you actually paint the inside of your sump, like the glass? I'm not sure how well this would stick to glass. I painted wood and got pretty good results. I also sanded, used a few coats of primer, did a fine-grit sand, then did a few coats of the semi-gloss black. I'm not sure what you would need to do to get a good finish on a glass surface.

Whoops I meant the inside of my stand where the sump goes. I sanded it down, used the paint and primer 2 in 1 and went through a whole can on what looked to be 3 square feet with a pretty thin coverage.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoops I meant the inside of my stand where the sump goes. I sanded it down, used the paint and primer 2 in 1 and went through a whole can on what looked to be 3 square feet with a pretty thin coverage.

Understood. I'm not sure why the results differ. Prep is very important when painting, maybe that's it? I gave my stand a good dry sanding with a 220 grit, wiped it clean with a lint-free cloth, then primed it with a dedicated primer. After applying two or three primer coats, I dry sanded with the 220 again (might have been a 320 grit even). After wiping it clean, I applied two or three light top coats. I don't think I used more than 1 can of primer and 1 can of topcoat and I got pretty solid results.

Also, one of those spray handles really helps when painting with spraypaint cans.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id have to recommend Sherwin Williams paint, but I'm partial because I've worked for them 10yrs. ProClassic oil based white with satin finish for mine. Built for an AIO so no doors to hide sump.

IMG_7246.JPG

IMG_7264.JPG

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back