Paint Toxicity?

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I'm an idiot and decided to spray paint the back of my tank with water (no fish) in it. To my knowledge none got into the tank, but I drained it anyway. I was only able to remove about 80 percent of the water, though. Should I refill it and then drain another 80 percent to further dilute any paint toxins that might have made it in there, or am I overthinking it?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm an idiot and decided to spray paint the back of my tank with water (no fish) in it. To my knowledge none got into the tank, but I drained it anyway. I was only able to remove about 80 percent of the water, though. Should I refill it and then drain another 80 percent to further dilute any paint toxins that might have made it in there, or am I overthinking it?

different votes if:
--- was it covered - if so let it go
--- not covered - saltwater replacement is cheap compared to toxicity loss ... get a cup and bail out more of the water & don't try just diluting - get creative toget the last 20% out

OP
OP
Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Might be interesting to know the paint type used, or a picture of the can.
Sorry... It was Krylon Fusion.

My plan was to remove 80 percent, refill, then remove 80 percent again. That way only 4 percent of the original water is left.

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s only water I would be emptying it and rinsing it completely, letting it dry, rinsing it again. Maybe I’m overthinking it. But I don’t trust it. Are you asking because there was a film on top of the water?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinse as best you can, maybe use some vinegar.

Attachments

• 724504023319_SDS_English (1).pdf
    172.9 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it’s only water I would be emptying it and rinsing it completely, letting it dry, rinsing it again. Maybe I’m overthinking it. But I don’t trust it. Are you asking because there was a film on top of the water?

No, as far as I know, none got into the water at all. But I'm assuming that microscopic amounts probably did.

OP
OP
Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not covered, but no rocks either, just water.

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know, i guess it depends on how much paint your comfortable having in your tank. I'd really get all the water out and wipe it down if it were me.

Back