Painted Tank and Bulkhead Seals

NotoriousENG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a dumb question but I'm having a hard time finding an answer. I just drilled my tank and am planning to paint the background and was wondering if I need to tape the area around the drilled holes off before painting so the seals will be in direct contact with the class? Or is it fine to have paint under the bulk head seals?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that 100% contact with the glass is best. Recently I ‘broke the rule’ and had uneven paint layers right up to the hole; even though I cranked the bulkheads tight, water dripped down from behind the overflow and I had to remove it and sand down the paint. It was a pain. Best wishes!

OP
OP
NotoriousENG

NotoriousENG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, some bulkhead gaskets come with injection molding cast marks on one side and smooth on the other.
Smooth side should be on the glass IME it seals more reliably.
The eclipse came with three bulkhead seals, what would be the proper way to orient the smooths side? I figure smooth side towards the class on the inside of the tank. The smooth side towards the glass on the outside of the tank between the overflow box and outside glass. Lastly, smooth side touching the inside acrylic for the last seal in the external box.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I missing something? You’re painting the outside of the tank right? The rubber gaskets on the bulkheads go on the inside of the tank

OP
OP
NotoriousENG

NotoriousENG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I missing something? You’re painting the outside of the tank right? The rubber gaskets on the bulkheads go on the inside of the tank
I'm the one missing something, I didn't know regular bulkheads only have seals on one side. Thank you for pointing this out since my return is drilled for a standard bulkhead. I'm new to sumps so this all new to me

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re just using the bulkheads for return lines, you just need to put the gasket on the flange side on the inside of the tank.

However, if you’re installing an external overflow box, you will need gaskets between the tank and the exterior overflow drain box. Tape off where the gaskets contact the glass prIor to painting for a proper seal.

Here is my tape job for the gaskets prior to painting after, I drilled my tank…

CA4455AF-D53E-46EF-AE63-EECFC13642B3.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back