Painting my tank

M1i1t1c1h1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am about to put my new 125 into its final resting place. Since it is a used tank, I have spent the last few months prepping it and making it as good as new.
The last piece of this puzzle is to repaint the trim around the tank. It is very worn down and despite my attempts to use tools to scrape debris off, it is still quite dirty. I have come to the conclusion that it would be more practical to paint over all of the scuff marks and random 'discolorations'.
What brands of plastic-adhesive paint have you all used that does not leech into the tank once it is filled with water? I live in Canada and getting American brands can prove to be challenging, so preferably Canadian brands please and thank you :)

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most paints, once cured, won't leech anything into the water. I'd prime the rim before doing a finished paint coat.

Good luck.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^What he said^^^

I'd sand it smooth to at least 220 grit, then tape off all the glass and spray krylon or another good brand spray paint. One coat of primer, a couple coats of topcoat. Allow it to cure for a few days and you should be good to go. If you do happen to scratch it it will be easy to touch up.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 167 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%
Back