Pair of Clarkii's in a 32

noahcw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I bought some clownfish at my lfs a few months ago unsure of what they were, but they were small and looked like clownfish (I'm pretty new to marine tanks, pardon my ignorance). However, it has now come to my attention that 2 Clarkii's may outgrow the 32 gallons, does anyone have any advice or personal experience with this, there are no other fish in the tank.

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah wonderful, clarkiis are my second most favorite clowns :D

I keep two polymnus in a 60l nano with a macrodactyla anemone with nothing else.

I would advise you to stock as little as possible if you want to enjoy the anemone fishes fully because they have a wonderful behaviour and it will get suppressed as you stock up your community. You might notice that many people claim that anemone fishes don't swim around by it is more a matter of them sticking near good safespots in order to keep safe.

If you get any problems with agression between the anemone fishes, just mess around with your LR until you get some kind of well circulated rock formation that allows the less dominant to flee efficiently from the dominant one.

OP
OP
noahcw

noahcw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah wonderful, clarkiis are my second most favorite clowns :D

I keep two polymnus in a 60l nano with a macrodactyla anemone with nothing else.

I would advise you to stock as little as possible if you want to enjoy the anemone fishes fully because they have a wonderful behaviour and it will get suppressed as you stock up your community. You might notice that many people claim that anemone fishes don't swim around by it is more a matter of them sticking near good safespots in order to keep safe.

If you get any problems with agression between the anemone fishes, just mess around with your LR until you get some kind of well circulated rock formation that allows the less dominant to flee efficiently from the dominant one.

Thanks, I appreciate the answer, I don't have an anemone yet, not sure what would be suitable. I have some mushroom and acan corals though. But no other livestock other than some snails. Do you think I could add other livestock? If so, what do you reccomend?

Last edited:
OP
OP
noahcw

noahcw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTA--rock dweller, split and become many
Let's see a picture of them clowns.
Sorry about the quality, I'm really new to marine so if something looks off please let me know, I've been having some algae issues so if anyone has advice that would be sweet too!

AB19481C-C76F-4D5B-A764-9774F645A6C0.jpeg 3B072B53-0EBF-450B-8113-297DA06E5F44.jpeg

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aw they look supercute! If brown/green algae is bothering you, you can always mix up your water changes with some salts with probiotic bacteria to eat away at phosphates and nitrates, I find it easier than messing around with different filter medias at least. And you seem to have good coralline algae growth, everything looks healthy to me :)

OP
OP
noahcw

noahcw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aw they look supercute! If brown/green algae is bothering you, you can always mix up your water changes with some salts with probiotic bacteria to eat away at phosphates and nitrates, I find it easier than messing around with different filter medias at least. And you seem to have good coralline algae growth, everything looks healthy to me :)
any recommendations?

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Aqua Forest Probiotic Reef Salt but it is a European brand so I don't know if that is what you're looking for :)

There is a description here:

It is a little more expensive because it gets bacteria sprayed on (or something like that) that can eat the nitrates and phosphates. You should be able to find different brands with similar properties and I personally think it is easier than having to buy all the different filter medias and change them and all that :)

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love clarkiis. Funny, when I first started I did not, but love them now. I have one pair of them in my 210g with a couple H. Malu carpets. Clarkiis will happily be hosted any anemone if you decide to get one. They will probably happily be hosted by corals too.
In a 32g, you have limited other options for fish though. Maybe a shrimp goby and shrimp or some tiny gobies. Tail spot blenny may work or a jesters. Good luck and welcome.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back