Pairing different species of clownfish?

jayman19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

i just bought 2 juvenile clownfish yesterday, one white maroon clown and one cinnamon tomato clown. I understand both of these types are slightly more aggressive so I figured pairing would be a little rough but what should I expect? I was just wondering if any people have kept these 2 in a tank together successfully? I have plenty of anemones and they host already. They slept in the same anemone last night but the tomato is definitely the aggressor between the two so far. Even if they don’t pair, will they try to kill eachother or can they co-exist

Icky Nicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tomato is becoming the dominant female, just give them time for the process to go by and monitor it, have a mesh breeder net ready if it gets too aggressive. feed them lots, a fat fish is a lazy fish.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if they don’t pair, will they try to kill eachother or can they co-exist
If they dont pair they will try and kill each other unless it is a very large tank (over 6 feet). I dont think anyone has success pairing these two fish so get ready to separate and give away one of them in the likely situation that they dont pair up.

OP
OP
J

jayman19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they dont pair they will try and kill each other unless it is a very large tank (over 6 feet). I dont think anyone has success pairing these two fish so get ready to separate and give away one of them in the likely situation that they dont pair up.
Thanks for the reply. I had read percula and overlaid can be, so I thought these 2 might be able to as well. My tank is 4 feet

OP
OP
J

jayman19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I had read percula and overlaid can be, so I thought these 2 might be able to as well. My tank is

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I had read percula and overlaid can be, so I thought these 2 might be able to as well. My tank is 4 feet
Percula and ocellaris are the easiest to pair together as they are very closely related. Maroons and tomatoes are not as related and have noticeable differences that i think the fish pick up on as well. There are maroon and tomato hybrids caught in the wild but it is speculated to be cross fertilization of two different pairs of fish that happen to breed nearby at the same time (1 maroon pair and 1 tomato pair). I really do hope you have good luck and it works out though

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back